• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Crash Pad

S

Steve Kirk

I will soon be replacing the top crash pad on my series 5. Does anyone have any ideas for finding the holes for the tonneau studs?

Thanks
Steve

pdq67

Donation Time
While I had the car apart (windsheild off and dash out), I drilled down thru the snap holes and thru the metal below. Once I had the dash pad in place, I used the same small drill bit to go back up thru the holes (pushing it by hand) and poked a hole thru the dash pad to mark the spot. It worked quite well.

Nickodell

Donation Time
A dressmaker's pin (the kind with a large plastic ball at the end) works as well, and leaves an invisible hole.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The pin could also be used with a piece of cardboard. Use the holes for the vent screws as a guide and punch a couple in where the studs currently are. Then lay it on the new dash pad once it's glued down and you're right in the ballpark to use the pin.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
While I had the car apart (windsheild off and dash out), I drilled down thru the snap holes and thru the metal below. Once I had the dash pad in place, I used the same small drill bit to go back up thru the holes (pushing it by hand) and poked a hole thru the dash pad to mark the spot. It worked quite well.

Steve,
This is the trick. I used a real long pin to locate from the bottom after dash was back in place.

P