• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dangerous Horn Rings

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Has anyone heard a report that the original Alpine horn rings are defective; becoming magnetized and grabbing hold of the drivers watch, ring, teeth fillings, etc. and holding them to the steering wheel? I'm avoiding buying one of the original rings until this is resolved. I've been trying to purchase a horn ring for some time, but someone (almost for sure from this very board) is always willing to pay a little more than me no matter how much I bid. Talking about e-bay here. Anyways, I'm not bidding on the current one, because I don't want a defective, dangerous part right in front of me when I'm driving. :eek:

Tullamore

Donation Time
I don't understand how the horn ring could become magnetized and even if it did that it could be strong enough to hold anything.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Aren't they pot metal? If so they wouldn't be magnetic or able to be magnitized.
Also don't know of too many teeth fillings that are steel.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had an Alpine horn ring snatch my false teeth out and slam them against the windshield, cracking it on the outside. Luckily, the teeth are as good as new, perhaps better. One of the front teeth suffered a minor chip, restoring the slightly worn cutting edge. Sort of like knapping a worn flint knife.

Bill

Rootes 66

Donation Time
I understand there were lots of later Alpine parts that came in to the UK from Italy in the mid to late sixtys, cast in gold (Stolen) and chrome plated to escape custom duties. You could hardly bring it back on a bus across the Alps now, could you.
Its said that "Not a lot of people know that."
Pete

howard

Donation Time
I had read from a classified government document that Rootes vehicles had to be distributed evenly around the Earth because of the magnetism problems. The fear was that uneven distribution of hyper-magnetics would disrupt electronics worldwide... perhaps even pulling airliners out of the atmosphere.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I heard it was an Alpine show that caused the weird spiral in the sky over Norway recently.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've been trying to purchase a horn ring for some time, but someone (almost for sure from this very board) is always willing to pay a little more than me no matter how much I bid.

Why not just buy a new one?

http://www.rootesparts.com/id223.htm

Hornring
Hornring Original assembly: includes switch and contact plate !
69.50€ ($102.37)
(Box is shown for display purposes only)
811ac950.jpg

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
The way I understand it, they are made of the same stuff that is used in the CERN accelerator. If it gets too cold it is scientifically possible that it would create a minature black hole and completely consume the solar system. Luckily, at temperatures found on earth, it will only disrupt electrical systems within a couple of feet of it.:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The way I understand it, they are made of the same stuff that is used in the CERN accelerator. If it gets too cold it is scientifically possible that it would create a minature black hole and completely consume the solar system. Luckily, at temperatures found on earth, it will only disrupt electrical systems within a couple of feet of it.:)

Actually, you may not have noticed, but they will suck all the money out of your wallet.

64beam

Donation Time
It is certainly not April 1st or my Christmas decorations have been up far too long. I would like to know who drives their Alpine using their mouth :confused: . That would be one interesting U-tube video ;) . You could try a Mota Lita steering wheel which I believe are made of aluminium (non-magnetic).

Pumpkin

Donation Time
And I thought brass muffler bearings were bad.. Along with the shaved ice, head gaskets..to raise compression..
Whew you guys are bad.:eek:
I love it.
Chuck

Jim E

Donation Time
I understand there were lots of later Alpine parts that came in to the UK from Italy in the mid to late sixtys, cast in gold (Stolen) and chrome plated to escape custom duties. You could hardly bring it back on a bus across the Alps now, could you.
Its said that "Not a lot of people know that."
Pete

Well that certainly explains why so many project cars are all there, complete except for the horn ring. So now you know Paul

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I must have a fortune, just sitting in the garage attic! There's probably 5 or six broken rings up there!:D
Cheers!
Steve