• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dan R 4.0 questions

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
or mount the radiator forward.

Jim, I have not yet gotten to the place to move the radiator forward. However, that may be a necessity if I can't get a manual fan to work. With 4 1/8" between the Bulkhead (radiator mount position) and the harmonic balancer I'm thinking I may have enough space for a mechanical fan. IF not Bill has suggested an electric fan he is familar with.

I haven't "cut" anything out of necessity yet:) Hoping to do this without any butchering of the Alpine.

I did some measuring for the "Stock" Fuel System and now believe I can make it work with a small scoop similar to the more common ones added to the Alpines (tigers).4.0 V6 gettin fitted in GT w hood scoop        20190613_155856.jpg

If not, I can always go with the Morana 4 BBl Intake designed specifically for the 4.0 or some other idea you, Barry or Bill will come up with:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, Another of my never ending questions?! Does the steel oil pan on the 2.9 engine bolt up to the 4.0? You would need to use the 2.9 pickup too.

Don't yet have a clue:) If I can get a 2.9 pan off I can compare. Will let you know.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, Dan. I prefer the steel pan over the cast aluminum one. Appreciate your help with this. I think it will add to engine choices in the Sunbeam. Morana's intake is about twice as much as mine will go for. Plus mine will be abut an inch lower profile. Actually all his parts are too high priced. The lower intake on the 2.9 has side by side ports unlike the 4.0 which are inline. Both motors will have unique adapter plate and baffle but use the same top piece in 2 or 4 barrel. Basically a single plane intake. The distributor idea with Marine module will work fine with built in advance of 22 degrees from 1000RPM to 2800RPM. You simply set total at 3000RPM of 34 degrees and will give 12 degrees initial. You would lose a couple MPG with out vacuum advance. When I get a 2.9 distributor I will look at adding vacuum advance. I will have to slot the mounting plate to allow movement. This will be about 6 months from now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a bit more info that may or may not be of benefit sometime in the future.

The Dip stick location (s):
2.8 V6 two locations: Left side on the front beneath the #4 for front sump engines and #6 for early series Mustang II (1974-1978), But the late series 1984 -'86 Ranger/Bronco II has only the #6 rear sump engine.
2.9 V6 one location: Left center beneath the #5 exhaust port (rear sump).
4.0 V6 one location: Left center beneath the #5 exhaust port (rear sump).

Measurements from the bottom of the engine block (where the oil pan bolts to the block) to the Center of the Exhaust port (s).
2.8 V6 is 8 1/4"
2.9 V6 is 8 1/4"
4.0 V6 is 9"

Measurements from the rear of the block where the bellhousing bolts up to the front of the engine to the farthest point on the Harmonic Balancer for:
2.8 V6 is 22"
2.9 V6 is 22"
4.0 V6 is 23 3/4"

Measurements from the rear of the block where the bell housing bolts to the engine to the farthest point of the Timing Cover for:
2.8 V6 is 19 1/2"
2.9 V6 is 19 1/2"
4.0 V6 is 19 1/2"

Measurements from the center of the crank shaft to the center of the cam for:
2.8 V6 is 6 3/4"
2.9 V6 is 6 3/4"
4.0 V6 is 7 3/8"

All of my measurements are as close as possible using a machinist metal ruler.

Not sure what use anyone can make of these measurements but ????

I think I learned a bit of the difference in the Cologne designed engines that will be more helpful.