• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cylinder head differences

ceecpa

Donation Time
I have a cylinder head (SM-3) that I plan to install on a 1725 engine. I believe the head may be from an earlier engine, perhaps a Series II.

Is there any difference in valve head diameter, air flow, or valve gear over the various Alpine series?

Thanks,

Chuck Edwards

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not really, no difference. All the parts are interchangeable. The very late Series V head, are very different.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan... there are some differences..

The early cars SI-3 (maybe IV) have slightly smaller valaves and combustion chambers.

The SV has slightly larger valves and combustion chambers.. and the late Sv arrow heads dont have the sparking plug tubes.. so dont leak oil out the sides.