• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cruising RPM's

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill simple math.. Different stats.
Apparently close to 50% of alpines made had o/d.

About 70% of production went to usa. A decent % of alpines in uk and au had o/d... But that still leaves lots of stateside cars to make up the o/d fitment. I think the notion of less than 10% of usa cars having o/d may be ambitious.

65beam

Donation Time
If you take a look at the registry on this site you'll find roughly 75 LRX cars of the 1575 total number of cars listed were sent to the states and had O/D. Less than 5% of cars listed. What does that tell you???? If 70% of the cars came to the states then cars with O/D were rare. If 50 thousand cars came here the number with O/D would be close to 2500 based on the registry.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Well hopefully the rootes archive will be able to shed some light on the matter.

Given there are a large number of sii alpine vins that appear to be eronious in records and a sample size of the registry, along with the propensity of od units to fail and not be repaired i wouldnt use it as the sample.

Aa for 0-60 times.. Except series 3 all od alpines used the 4.22... So you got a faster 0-60 than a non od car and a higher top speeed.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, I can tell you that finding an Alpine OD in the US is not easy. Almost every Alpine I see for sale or for parts in the US does NOT have an OD. I hope we can find some record that would resolve this issue, but I can assure you, as an Alpine owner for 53 years, I know that the OD's are rare in the US.

Regarding the 4.22 axle, I think I might have confused things by discussing OD and 4.22 in same paragraph. My 4.22 comment was aimed at answering 65Beam's question (post #36) about why the factory chose to equip all SV's with 4.22 axles regardless of OD or not. I think they did that so that ANY Alpine had a quick take off from the light- not just that rare OD Alpine.

Tom

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, I was referring to the opinion stated by the magazine, not the percentages. The overdrive Alpines were somewhat of a rarity. When I purchased my Series II, I had a choice between a wire wheel car with 4 speed or an overdrive car with steel wheels. I choose the later. Years later I learned my car was an early Series II as it had a grease gun in the tool kit. I purchased it in September of 1963. So it had been seating on the dealers lot for a long time. I think perhaps that is in part due to the fact it had OD and therefor a higher price. My only regret is that the OD was troublesome died at about 30,000 miles. I just wish Rootes had done a better job with what they had to work with.

Bill

Hodee

Donation Time
IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2355.JPG IMG_1910.JPG IMG_2369.JPG I went for a spirited drive last night and had a good time. Took it to 4500 rpm and the engine just got smoother and smoother in the higher revs. At about 34-3500 there is a vibration that is not fun. I have heard others mention this as well on the forum and need to research the cause and cure. Here are a few pics, and trust me, the paint is in bad shape from 1979-80 or so. Rare off center stripe. My jaw dropped the first time I saw this car as a kid and still gives me smiles to own and drive it now.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I'm going to strongly disagree with concern about adding an OD to an "original non-OD" car.

First, I'm sorry but Alpines are just never going to be big money. It's over. It's not going to happen.

Second, even for an Alpine lover who wants a really stock car, I don't think there is a single one who will pay less because it is a non OD car, but has an OD.

Third, I think in fact such a person will pay more for an added OD, as long as it's done right.

Finally, I got my car in the late 70's and wanted it to be faster. Even then my dad kept saying, get an OD, get an OD. But when I finally had money to burn in the late 80's I went full Holbay, head, cam, dual Webers, big pistons, etc. Great car. Finally the power it always needed. Then one day I finally got an OD. "OMG" what a difference. Dad was so right. Even with all the hi po Holbay stuff, I have to say, the OD was equal to if not more of an improvement with the overall enjoyment of the car.

So I strongly suggest you reconsider your reluctance to make such a great improvement to your car. :)

Hodee

Donation Time
Jay, with your comments in mind, what about just going to a 5 speed rather than a factory OD ?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Jay, with your comments in mind, what about just going to a 5 speed rather than a factory OD ?

Ha - then it wouldn’t be stock!

:)

Actually, since I started driving with this car, I had a personal attachment to it. I always liked the shifting. I don’t care for modern Toyota boxes in classic cars. Maybe that’s just me.