• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crossmember spacers

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey all, working on my car this week, misplaced the aluminum crossmember spacers. Anyone have an extra set? I need them this week, trying to get the engine in. I have a 1962 Series II. Let me know how much including next day shipping please.

Thanks!

Garet

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
don't know if they're all the same but there is a set of "new" ones on e-bay, I'm sure someone will post a link.

Tom j

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Tom, I saw those as well, was hoping to avoid $120 plus shipping. Really I only need to "borrow" a pair, cuz I am sure as soon as I get a pair in the mail I will find mine . . .

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Could these be made?

Seems to me if all they are are rectangle aluminum spacers it would be quick work for someone with a few good machine tools (drill press etc) to make them up ?...
I built my entire Toyota trans matting setup myself out of an old alpine bell housing and aluminum plate welded and drilled..seems to me this would be doable....AT least be me...or other people here...
If they are angled in some way they could be machined on an incline to the proper spec...

I am wondering if the cross member can have some movement for adjusting position as mine seems skewed toward the passenger side somewhat...

Chaz

alpine_64

Donation Time
Seems to me if all they are are rectangle aluminum spacers it would be quick work for someone with a few good machine tools (drill press etc) to make them up ?...
I built my entire Toyota trans matting setup myself out of an old alpine bell housing and aluminum plate welded and drilled..seems to me this would be doable....AT least be me...or other people here...
If they are angled in some way they could be machined on an incline to the proper spec...

I am wondering if the cross member can have some movement for adjusting position as mine seems skewed toward the passenger side somewhat...

Chaz

They are stepped and not just flat... Often they have disolced on cars over time through galavanic corrosion and especially on cars that have seen salt

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
They are stepped and not just flat... Often they have disolced on cars over time through galavanic corrosion and especially on cars that have seen salt

Didn't Doug Jennings sell new ones? If I remember they were not stepped.
Of course I might be wrong. If so let some one correct me

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Spacers - shims

They are 8 1/2" long x 2" wide the thickness is 1/2" x 2 1/4" then a step down of about 1/8" which tapers down to 1/4" at opposite end. Several holes needed.

I had some made for some of my cars (Cost me right at $90 pair). Lots of mill work apparently. Sure thought they would be a bit less.

Offered to sell a couple on the forum then shortly afterwards someone posted them on E-bay.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine were stepped, but I see no reason you could not use two sets of spacers, thick ones in the rear, thin ones up front. 5/8" washers will work fine. Might glue them together in stacks to make them easier to manage. Use Shoe Goo glue. Mighty handy stuff. Fixes what JB Weld cannot.

$120 is ridiculous. The factory probably used a one piece wedge for ease of assembly.

Bill

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Not sure if the US suppliers Sunbeam Specialties or Classic Sunbeam sell them. I do know Alpine West Midlands in the UK sold them at one time. Might be worth a call.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Mine were stepped, but I see no reason you could not use two sets of spacers, thick ones in the rear, thin ones up front. 5/8" washers will work fine. Might glue them together in stacks to make them easier to manage. Use Shoe Goo glue. Mighty handy stuff. Fixes what JB Weld cannot.

$120 is ridiculous. The factory probably used a one piece wedge for ease of assembly.

Bill

To,use washers as you suggest would be foolhardy.,the spacers must be equal to the frame width. I suggest it would become dangerous due to stress placed on the metal. You would onl have a very small contact area.Why tempt fate. You could use steel squares drilled and put in place
glueing them to hold in place would be fine.

Any mods I have done are done with safety being the foremost consideration

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have two, still attached to an SI X-member. It would take more than 2 days to get them to USA.

A couple of questions? No reason, just curious.

1) I think these set the caster. Can one make/use different sizes to change caster?
2) Apparently the are made of AU and others have said galvanic action destroys them. If someone was making replacements, would steel be a better choice of material.
3) The ones on ebay say they are for SIV, SV and ST(T is for Tiger). Are early series different?

Al

65beam

Donation Time
spacers

chuck,
doug did have them made over the years. I'm not sure if he has any of the repros left but I'm sure he probably has some for sale. i'll be at the shop sometime this week so i'll ask him.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
To,use washers as you suggest would be foolhardy.,the spacers must be equal to the frame width. I suggest it would become dangerous due to stress placed on the metal. You would onl have a very small contact area.Why tempt fate. You could use steel squares drilled and put in place
glueing them to hold in place would be fine.

Any mods I have done are done with safety being the foremost consideration

Really? The stock spacers are not as wide as the frame rail.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have two, still attached to an SI X-member. It would take more than 2 days to get them to USA.

A couple of questions? No reason, just curious.

1) I think these set the caster. Can one make/use different sizes to change caster?

Yes castor was preset at the factory. Castor can be changed by using single shims at the upper A arm mounting bolts. A good shop can do this for you
Used to,have a fantastic front end man at a friends shop. He set up his equipment and then decide want was needed to be done. He decided he needed to,change where he lived and was gone one morning without any goodbyes.

I bought a tool of Ebay and do,all my own alignments.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just checked and they are 2 inches wide. That's a heck of a lot of contact area VS 5/8 th washers.

Not really. Just checked, 5/8" washers are 1 3/4" diameter. If that is not enough, how about 3/4" washers? A lot bigger and still readily available.

Bill