• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crankshaft Pulley Rubber Ring

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just dug through my spare parts and found a crankshaft pulley for Howard (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6822), but have a question about it: How important is the rubber ring on the back side? What purpose does it serve? The one I have looks to be solid, but will need considerable cleaning (surface rust and old paint). However, the rubber ring is pretty beat and looks to be dry and cracked. I am sure cleaning the pulley will further damage it. Should Howard be concerned about this? Is it worth the 6-8 bucks it will cost to send it to him?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I am thinking somebody like this could rebuild them. (But I have no experience with this guy... I found him with a quick scan of the net)

http://www.dalemfg.com/dale_028.htm

If you read what he has written it makes you wonder if a used one is really "good".

Of course, with all Alpine crankshaft pulley's the big concern is damage to the keyway on the balancer. I have also notice when there is damage, like the keyway split, the woodruff key is sometimes damaged, too. Caused by the pulley moving on the crank. Don't hesitate to replace the key, too.

Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jim,
The information on that web site is not fully correct:
" The need for a Harmonic Balancer often stems from increasing the stroke of the engine which makes the crankshaft overly flexible (twisty). If something is not done to keep this flexing vibration to less than 1/2 of one degree of twist from one end of the crankshaft to the other, then the crankshaft may develop cracks over time.The harmonic balancer consists of the hub (bolted to the crankshaft), an outer weight ring (usually of cast iron) and a sandwiched layer of flexible rubber. This rubber absorbs the energy of the vibrating crankshaft in the form of heat, damping the amount of vibration to within safe limits."
Torsional excitations are a product of the power pulses (and compression pulses to some degree) in the engine by twisting the crankshaft on the power stroke in one direction and then the crankshaft snapping back. These excitations will grow to an alarming peak at the natural frequency of the crankshaft, flywheel, gear train system to break the crankshaft or shafts or any gears in the torsional resonance system. The flywheel is like a filter that keeps the harmonics from going into the transmission, drive shaft and so on. The harmonic balancer (that's not the correct name for it, people think it balances the rotational parts), is like a torsional excitation absorber, it absorbs some of the twist during the power stroke, but it gives it back to further resist the snap-back. I true harmonic damper is very hard to come by, because it is designed to absorb that adverse twist and turn it into heat. The rubber that you talk about can be considered as a "spring" that is connected between the crankshaft and the heavy metal ring. Consider this as a rotational pendulum that is "tuned" to the torsional excitations.
That's it in a nut shell.....There is more to this.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Another thing that the web site said was they use a silicone compound to glue it together. Either they are not telling the truth or they are completely stupid, but the material to use is urethane and not silicone. Why? Well, because urethane is way superior. The durometer of urethane can be varied very consistantly to replicate the rubber that it replaced. Silicone is not used like this application at all. Something is not right, and from what the other errors they said on harmonic balancers, I would be suspicious of these people.
Jan