• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crank Pulley / Harmonic Balancer Weight

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi! The crank pulley / harmonic balancer that was on my 2.8 when I bought the car was cracked so I bought another one (Thanks Sam!). The original one weighed 4.5 lbs but the new one weighs almost 8 lbs. Does it make any difference? I could lighten it by having the outside groove machined off, but I have enough clearance with the cross member that I don't have to. Thanks!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi! The crank pulley / harmonic balancer that was on my 2.8 when I bought the car was cracked so I bought another one (Thanks Sam!). The original one weighed 4.5 lbs but the new one weighs almost 8 lbs. Does it make any difference? I could lighten it by having the outside groove machined off, but I have enough clearance with the cross member that I don't have to. Thanks!
Mark,

I would suggest machining it off, not just for lightening, but for aesthetics too. Even though you have room for it, it just looks better without it just sitting there empty.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
If we keep getting heat like this I may seriously consider it! (Not really... would draw too much power!) I had the top down on the Sebring this morning and I had the air on full blast to make it bearable.

Mark T

Donation Time
Just noticed that the new pulley, which is from the 2.9 engine, is about 1/4" larger in diameter than the old 2.8 pulley. Will that make any difference?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I suggest drilling a couple of holes through the floor pans and filling the car with ice before setting out for Dayton! Good luck, Mark. Dwain Cooke came by for a great visit today, sharing all kinds of things with me that will eventually be helpful--first SAOCA member I've met face to face. I don't know for sure, but I doubt if that slight difference in diameter will be crucial.