• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crank Case pressure

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am dealing with some pressure in the crank case that is confusing. I know I have some blow by as the engine is a little tired. Cylinder pressures are #1-145-150 and the rest 155ish. With the lifter vent hose disconnected, I get oil out of the pulley. Reconnected, I am way too lean on the carb (Weber) but no oil. I tried a new PCV tonite and got oil leakage again. None with the old PCV. I did redo the head and know the gasket around the lifter cover at the top is marginal and leaks a bit. So, would a bad gasket seal on the lifter cover cancel the positive ventilation from the PCV? Prevent it from sucking the air out of the crankcase? My thought is the old PCV doesn't seal and the intake manifold is sucking great quantities of air unrestricted. The new PCV is working right and when open is defeated by the bad gasket. Does that make any sense at all to anyone????

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Tracy,

Is your PCV system connected correctly? Does your Alpine still retain the flame arrestor on the oil filler spout? I'm not 100% sure, but there should be a pipe from the side cover to the inlet manifold and another pipe from the filler spout, through the flame arrestor to the air cleaners (please correct me if I am wrong). The gasket being in average condition will not help as air can also be drawn in as well as oil escaping.

Regards, Robin.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the flame arrester

on the valve cover. Have it linked by hose to the air cleaner. The "road pipe" or vent pipe from the lifter cover goes to the PCV screwed into the manifold just below the carb. When I redid the head, the top of the lifter cover is bolted to the head. Looking at it now, I realize I did a poor job of getting the gasket in and out and am leaking a bit of oil out the top, eg, the gasket is breached. Thinking about this, with the new PCV, it pee's oil out the pulley at slow idle. At higher RPM's, it doesn't. At higher RPM's there would be enough draft to clear the sump, at idle, the PCV wouldn't open much and the pressure would build. Any draft at low RPM's would be negated by the lifter cover gasket breach.
Since I am the World Champion at convincing myself of things and am amazingly often wrong also, I feel the need for affirmation and validation. ("I am a good person, I am a good person...") Other than the last bit, does any of this make sense??

mikephillips

Donation Time
Couple things to think about. Has the timing cover been off?? If so was it centralized in relation to the pulley shaft when reinstalled?? Was the outer edge of the oil slinger flat and straight and the rubber washer in place?? Was the drain hole that allows flow back to the sump partially gunked up?? And is the spring and ball in place in the chain oiler??

Getting a steady flow at idle with nothing as the engine speeds up says to me that one or more of these items is probably faulty/incorrect. I don't think the PCV is part of the problem since there's not much of a way for it to pressurize the timing cover and I would not expect any flow to stop with increased revs.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, never had the cover off

I haven't been near the time chain cover. This all started with the Weber for some reason.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I haven't been near the time chain cover. This all started with the Weber for some reason.

Tracy , (PM) send me some photos. hoses to the carb from the valve cover. also let me see the vent on the side of the engine. What oil are you using weight? and what is the oil pressure on starting cold and starting hot?
If you have blown a gasket on the timing chain cover" that will" have to be fixed.. The gasket on the valve cover has nothing to do with the lack of breathing on the pcv. IS THE PCV installed the right direction?
Chuck