• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Correct Oil Change Procedure

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
What's the correct procedure for changing the oil on my SV, I vaguely recall someone telling me that it is not a straight forward case of draining the oil, replacing the filter cartride and topping her back up with oil:confused:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I dont think there is anythign special to it.. get the car up to temperature, jack it up witht he drain plug at the lower point, open and drain, replace filter.. if you are being pedantic you can pull the OPRV out while you are doing it and give it a rinse in some terps and make sure its sliding freely.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The only thing special to the Alpine is that it does take a while to fill the filter, so after changing I often pull the coil wire and spin the motor for a minute or so (with no load) to fill the filter prior to starting. Be sure to buy a filter with an anti-drainback valve.

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Thanks...perfect.. so I just need to make sure the filter has a non return valve and crank her over for a while before firing her back up.:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, how the heck do you do that without spilling it all over the place when you install it?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I can only guess.. you drain the oik from the car.. put the sump plug back in, fill the new filter.. place the car in a rotisserie install the filter then put the car right side up and fill the motor... a fair bit of effort to o to when a couple of cold cranks move the oil around :rolleyes:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK Nick, How to get the oil to stay in the filter for a stock/original SV engine oil block?

Do you have and suggestions of converting to where the filter"hangs" like most american cars?

Thanks,

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Do you have and suggestions of converting to where the filter"hangs" like most american cars?

Thanks,

I do.

There are several ford apps that do this, but particularly the Merkur XR4Ti has a sandwich water/oil cooler with a 90 degree adapter.
You can just not use the cooler I suppose (though the cooler is better than the stock SV cooler) but putting the oil filter at a 90 degree angle makes for cleaner
oil changes as well as preventing much of the oil drainback.

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
You can partially fill the filter with oil and rotate it around to saturate the filter media. Just don't leave it full enough that it pours oil out while turning it over and placing it on the base. You will be surprised how much oil you can put in and not have it pour out.

Paul N.

Donation Time
They're right - it does work.

The same filter was also used on Fords and, if you want a larger capacity filter, the one from the SuperSnipe will screw on. I believe (but don't quote me) that the same large filter was used on the Essex V6.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you don't have an anti-drain back valve the oil in the filtre will drain back into the sump. The next time you start the car the oil pump will have to take time to fill the filtre before it ever gets to lubricating the bearings, and after many starts you'll impart more wear to the bearings than you'd like. With the ant-drain back valve the bearings see pressured lubrication much earlier and are better protected from wear.

pcmenten

Donation Time
In theory, pre-filling the oil filter sounds like a good idea, but from personal experience I no longer do that. When I did that it took a long time for the engine to prime the oil pump. It's pretty alarming to see your engine running for a few seconds with the low oil pressure lamp lit up.

My theory is that when I pre-fill the filter, it creates a 'hydro-lock' that traps air in the oil pump and pickup. The empty oil pump has to both pull oil from the sump and push oil out the filter while it is filled with air. As an alternative, I would suggest filling the sump with oil while the oil filter is not installed, and waiting for the oil to push its way up the oil screen/pickup. Then install the new, empty filter.

And I like the idea of disabling the coil while cranking the engine so that the oil pump can prime itself.

Paul

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
how to know what filters have an anti drain back valve?

The manufacturer's info page usually identifies if the filter has an anti-drain back valve.

Here's my notes on series V oil filter options:

Purolator – L10017 (has anti-drainback valve)
Purolator – PER17 (old number, replaced by L10017)
Purolator – FCO-17 (foreign car – no longer made?)
Purolator – L14670 (classic) (Purolator site says use this filter for Alpine)
Purolator – PL14670 (PureOne) (Purolator site says use this filter for Alpine)
Fram – PH16 ( has anti-drainback valve, but people online complain anti-drain valve is not good)
Motorcraft – FL300
K&N HP-2004
Wix 51307

I'm currently using the K&N HP-2004. I painted it black. It looks similar to the original Alpine filter, since it has the hex nut on top.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 41

john.hemsath

Diamond Level Sponsor
Learned something new

I seem to learn something new every time I peruse the forum. Thanks to all who school us novices!

Anti drain back valve, who woulda thunk...

John
67 SV