• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Correct Battery

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just looking for any links or info for a close period correct Battery for a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger Any help would be great! Thanks:cool:

atallamcs

Donation Time
Battery

Contact Dales Restorations in California and talk to Dale. The only need for a "periord correct" battery is for Concours shows. But since Dale had one of the best, completely stock tiger, that he restored, he would know.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi George,

From what I have seen with concourse cars down hear, is to choose a battery with a black case and remove the stickers. Unless you are lucky enough to still have an original battery for concourse purposes, you will struggle. GS Yuasa make a battery with a black case (product number 67), and one was also used in our recently sold Sunbeam Rapier fastback concourse car.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You can get sealed batteries that have the fake ols style case around them.. saw them in the mecum auto auction show..

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
George:

Try this link:

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

Even though they don't have a listing for a Tiger, they do show several batteries for Alpines, with one of them being a "G27L" number. I am assuming, by comparing the measurements that they have listed for the Sunbeam batteries, that this means "Group 27" battery. If I'm not mistaken, the Tigers took a Group 27 battery. They have a pic of the battery and it certainly looks authentic, although they are not cheap. I had one of the "Autolite Sta-Ful" batteries in my old '65 Shelby G.T. 350 years ago and got excellent service out of it. If you can get past the purchase price, they seem to be as reliable as any other battery.

My .02 worth,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Seems to me that the Tigers did use a 'Lucas' battery, but that they had a special cap* on top, with a drain, that was supposed to prevent build up of corrosive gasses/fluids in the boot. I'm betting they're rarer than honest politicians at this point, but I do know of one of these for sale, if anyone's dying for one... no guarantee if it will fit a modern battery, of course. Another alternative, for those of you that saved them, is to have one of your old Lucas batteries simply rebuilt - I know I have a couple laying around my shop, at least. The battery place that was noted by Andy I believe can do this, as well as other vendors.

*Here's a pic of such a cap:

P1010224.JPG

alpine_64

Donation Time
the "caps" are rubber and have a series of little buckets that go over the top of the holes.. they then lead to the rubber drain (vent?) tube

64beam

Donation Time
Hi George,

For what it is worth in concourse points, it doesn't justify the back pocket expense :) . Good luck with your choice.

Regards, Robin.