• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cork in the crossmember threaded sleaves

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
You know, I finally realized the cork the factory stuffed into the threaded sleaves was not to keep "crud" out over time. It was most likely in place to keep the paint from running down the threads during manufacture. The factory simply left these plugs in place rather than risking chipping the paint when trying to remove them.

I noticed the cork plugs on one of the cars has the portion hanging out and it is painted. (I don't believe this car has been repainted before) It is clear that they plugs were in place prior to the painting process and never removed.

I had never found the whole cork plug still in place on any of my other Sunbeams and never realize they were painted apparently when the car was painted.

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's the photo of the cork.

cork.jpg