• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Confessions

coolcat

Donation Time
I’m not Catholic but they say confessions are good for you. I would like to confess that I did a very stupid thing yesterday to my series 3 Alpine. When refilling the radiator, I picked up a gallon jug of what I thought was antifreeze, I noticed it was flowing pretty slow and then I discovered it was 20W/50W motor oil.
The last time I did something this stupid was forgetting to re -connect the oil line to the gauge and as a result had oil all over my new carpet.
I think I poured about a quart of oil into the radiator before I realized my stupid error. I drained out all I could and filled the radiator with water.
QUESTION FOR THE FORUM. -How much damage could some oil in the coolant cause? And will you confess to doing something this stupid to your Alpine? Not so Coolcat Ed.

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
Let's see what the others say, but I am thinking you would be okay. I would flush a few times, a couple with an appropriate detergent, and then lots of water.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Ed, don't beat yourself up... we're all human after all.

I would flush the radiator out with a bottle of Simple Green as that breaks up oil. Perhaps plug both ends and shake it a bit. I'd then run pure water through until clear to flush out the Simple Green.

The other alternative would be to take the rad to a local shop and have them boil it.

Tullamore

Donation Time
I don't think it will do much harm if you get most of it out.

I guess you just wanted to make sure your water pump was lubricated. :p

mikephillips

Donation Time
Take the lower hose loose from the waterpump too since it's probably gotten oil inside it. If you were refilling an empty system that should be all that's needed. Then once flushed and refilled let it sit awhile and see if you get any oil sitting in the top tank, since it'll float on top.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ed, I'm sure I've done things at least as stupid, just can't think of one at the moment. Maybe when last summer I forgot to put the hose clamp back on the fuel line and came within an Ace of burning the car, the garage and possibly the house to a cinder. Does that count?

No point is going to a rad shop, 99.9% flush with cold water with blasts of air to help knock things loose. Water quality standards, you know.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Ed
I did an Alpine for a former Winnipeger who now lives in Calgary
When it was ready to start I set every thing up and rechecked and rechecked.Much to my surprise it just wouldn't start.Lots of spark from the coil.I checked again all the wires and I happened to look at the hood release and there in all its glory was the rotor.Put that back in and 1st turn it was running perfect.

Nickodell

Donation Time
I would drain the radiator first, then reverse flush it for an hour or so. Then reconnect hoses and refill the cooling system (heater on "cold") with water and one quart of non-foaming detergent (i.e., don't use dishwasher det.) and run the engine until the coolant is warm, which should emulsify any oil that is left in the rad and/or got into the block or head. Then drain rad. and block, refill with water, run and flush twice. That should do it.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Day I brought my Alpine home it quit at the top of the street. Coasted home. Checked everything out, noticed that the fuel pump wasn't. Pulled same, bought kit, rebuilt it, nothing. Blew out the fuel lines, nada. Light bulb! (for a dim one) Plumbed the fuel tank. Bone dry. In my defense, the gauge read full (was shorted) but still... Been around LBC's long enough to know better.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I wouldn't use detergent at all. Oil rises to the top of water, so just drain out all you can then fill with plain water. Keep the rad cap off, and start and warm up the car... the oil will circulate, but it will eventually rise to the top of the radiator and as the engine heats up the water level will rise and the oil will be slowly forced out the top of the radiator.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Whatever works for you, but oil also has a nasty habit of migrating to places where it can congregate, especially high up where it might not be scavenged by plain water. Also, oil has an affinity for rubber and plastic (i.e. it clings to them), and all the water will not remove it completely from hoses etc. I used soluble cutting oil in one engine where oil had entered, after three water changes and engine runs, and it still brought more oil out.

britbeam

Donation Time
Flush,go for a ride at speed & enjoy as always.I dont think this would call for major concern.
Dwain V6 Krazy