• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coil springs

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
As some of you know I was wanting more clearance for the front end.The spoiler was like 3 inches of the ground.The front looked like it was going to scrape the ground.
Well I went to new coils that were a rating of 300 PPI and 1.5 inches longer.
No problem with R and R.Only problem was one side for some reason could not keep the threaded rod for the spring compressor straight.After a couple of tries it was done.Yes I compressed the springs on the bench.
Now there was a couple of things to do and that was camber and toe in were affected. Now I found my tie rods from the Mustang rack are too long and neede to R and R them to cut them down 1/2 inch.Its almost good and now to see when my friend can get me in for an alignment. Oh yes the height!!!.Well I now have lots of clearance.Abit more than I wanted.I gained 2 and 1/4 maybe 2 and 1/2 inches.The springs definitley need to be worked to get a bit of sag but I don't think it will be very much.
But Hey I can now slide the big floor jack under the front without jacking the front up somewhat with the small jack.Also can drive up the ramps.Now a new problem is the end of the exhaust drags going up the ramps.But then doesn't Murphy's law have something to do with that.
In any case I think I should have kept the stock rate and made the spring the extra 1.5 inches longer
Not much driving time left up here in the great white north.Rain predicted for the Thanksgiving weekend here

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chuck, I coined (I think) and adopted this slogan many years ago while building a riding lawn mower.

"You can't change just one thing".

I can't count the times I have found that to be true. Once, on the way to do an industrial inspection, I mentioned this phenomenon to fellow workers. While doing the inspection, someone mentioned the water sudden quality violations they had experienced. The response brought gales of laughter from our party: Someone in purchasing had changed die lube suppliers. The new lube contained high amounts of EDTA which interfered with the water treatment. Took them about 3 months to figure it out.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill
It always seems to be that way doesn't it?
I found one more thing to correct.This was due to not making an attaching bracket out of thicker plate.It was small but over time it bent with the stress of the U joints in the steering shafts.Very easy fix.Now to get some miles on the car and see just what that 302 will do.