• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cockpit surround Series 3

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
I'm restoring a Series 3 with a hard top. The car is an ST, however, I am not installing a soft top and do not plan on using the soft top frame. I will be using the three piece metal soft top covers. The car came with many extra parts, including two different aluminum cockpit surrounds, a one piece as shown in the attached photos and a three piece like the one used on my 1968 Tiger. I have two questions: 1. if I am not installing a soft top, do I need this piece and 2. which of the two versions are correct for a Series 3. The parts manual shows only the three section type.

Thanks!
Kim
Series 3
Tiger 2

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll have to look at mine tonight to see if you could do without it. I know it holds that plastic piece against the body, which means you'll have to see if you can do without that plastic piece too. Are you installing the GT pads instead?

For that aluminum trim piece, I've vever seen the 3 piece version, even though it's clearly shown in the parts book. Mine has the 1 single piece.

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
series 3 cockpit surround

thanks, Scott. No, I'm staying with the ST pads, just not installing a soft top. The factory must have switched to the three piece version at some point, since it's the only thing shown in the parts book. Unless you think I can do without it, I'll send the single, long piece to the restoration shop. It's a tough thing to ship, so I was going to avoid it if possible.

Thanks!
Kim

mikephillips

Donation Time
With or without the soft top you want to use the alloy pieces if installing the top covers, they serve as a "ledge" for the outer edge of each part to rest on. You'll also notice a series of holes in them, there should be small rubber buffers in each to keep the top cover from rattling against them. As for the rubber around the back, while you don't need it from a technical standpoint without a top I think it provides a more finished look.

Jim E

Donation Time
Might want to think about a soft top, I know there have been many times in my S3 GT I wanted one. Like one time driving to the Invasion and it rained about half of the 10 hours.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Kim,

Mike is correct and the pieces do need to be installed to act as a ledge to hold the metal covers. Install all three of them too. My Series 3 has the three sections and they serve twofold. One as a ledge and the other to hold the tail of the soft top to the body. Your restoration is going to be very, very nice and Jim's advice is oh so accurate. If you are not going to convert the rear area to the padded seat look of a GT then by all means invest in the instalation of the soft top. I have both on my Series 3. I drive with the top down 75% of the time. I have been caught out some many times without my hardtop on and was saved by the soft top that it is too numerous to count. There is no need to have your restoration ruined by not having a top when you need it.

Cheers,

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
1 or 3 pieces?

thanks for all of the advice! I'll use the aluminum surround, but which one? Reading the replies, it looks like one Series 3 had the one piece unit and the other has the three sections. Could it be that Sunbeam made the switch during Series 3 production? Mine is a is a very early car, #408. Scott & Todd, where were your cars in the production run? Maybe we can figure out when the factory made the switch. As for skipping the soft top, I don't plan on removing the hard top from the car. I like the look too much and it will be color keyed with the wheels. I don't mind the heat of a GT, years ago I put 250,000 miles on a MGB-GT.

Kim
Series 3
Tiger 2

65beam

Donation Time
surround

if you look at the rootes parts book covering the series 3, you'll see part numbers 336,337,338, and 339. 336 is the plastic piece that goes between the body and all the other three pieces. 338 and 337 are the metal pieces that the side top doors set on. 339 is the center metal piece. the plastic has a flange that covers the edge of the body. without the plastic piece there is no buffer between the top doors and the body. instant chips. this setup is no different than what was used on all series of cars.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its my understanding that all the cars had the 3 metal retaining strips around the soft top cavity holding the plastic seal.

Caution, the SI/II parts are different lengths to the later cars. Also if you have the hood covers and dont install the body seal id guess that hen they move they will hit the paint on the bodys edge

alpine_64

Donation Time
on a series 5, they serve no purpose other than holding the plastic.

Bob, on a SVST surely they also provide a retaining strip for the soft top? Dont you have the top mounted behind the metal between the seal and then the body? If you didnt have the strip it would be a bunch of screws holding the top in place and it would surely tear

65beam

Donation Time
surround

michael,
you do not secure the top material on the sides. it makes it very difficult to stow the top and has been known to tear the material also if you do secure it.

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
one piece surround

With my spare parts, I have several one piece surrounds. If all cars had the three piece type, does anyone know what these are for? Here's one pic, I'll post a second one in another reply. The holes line up with the three piece type and the length is the same. Scott did say in the first reply that his car has a one piece surround.

Kim
Series 3
Tiger 2

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
It takes all three pieces to hold the rubber body strip against the body. The reason there are three is because the two short pieces are NOT used to sandwich the soft top fabric with the rubber trim. Only the long one is used for both the top and trim. This allows the sides to collapse.

So..................
You need all three because it would look real stupid and unfinished with no rubber trim.

Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
you do not secure the top material on the sides. it makes it very difficult to stow the top and has been known to tear the material also if you do secure it.

Bob you are right i dont think you can even fold a top if they are secured under the side metal retainers from all the ebay cars i have seen with hoods resting ont he rear deck.. and from the issues people have now and again.. i was reffering to the rear part.. should have been more clear ;)

65beam

Donation Time
surround

kim,
the metal piece that you are showing is the center section of the three piece metal top retainer strips. in the series 3 parts book it is part # 2220845. this is # 339 in plate D- section YX of the rootes parts book as i said before. this piece goes across the back of the body and a short distance up the sides. #336 is a plastic retainer that goes onto the body . it has a flange that lays over the body and goes around to the door opening. the top fabric goes between it and the metal piece that you are showing. in other words the piece you are showing is the retainer to hold the top fabric.there are also two other shorter metal sections that go on the side. the info i just provided is from the series 3 parts book. scott may have misunderstood what you were speaking of. i'm not sure but the other thing in your photo looks like a dog's rear end.