• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

clutch slave

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
More lost photos and no notes and a poor memory:eek: Which side of the housing does the slave mount engine or clutch ? It seems to mount on the engine side but then the boot (rubber cover) doesn't come close to covering the push rod area and the boot would act like a funnel for dirt into the clutch housing, if it's on the clutch side the boot fits great and would keep dirt and grime out, but the machined side of the flange on the slave is then not the mounting surface. This is really not a technical answer(I don't think) just go out and look at yours. Series V

Thanks for replies, Tom J

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Look you guys.
Here is the only thing to remember when mounting the slave. Try to always mount the slave on the transmission side (fully compress the piston and see if it mounts on the back side of the bellhousing), if not, then the only alternative is to mount it on the front side.
Jan

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you Jan, sorry for such a d-a question, but while I'm at it,
naaa nevermind!

Getting closer to a drive, one bolt, one nut , one rookie question at a time.

Tom J

Drnobeam

Donation Time
I mounted the slave cylinder on the transmission (rear) side. When mounted to engine (front) side, the piston over-extended and dumped brake fluid out onto the floor when I was bleeding the system.

I remember trying to find a picture showing which side this thing bolts up to, and none existed that I could find. Here's a picture of mine:

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alright Andy ! That's what mine looks like now(sort of, little more grease/oil in the background)
Tom j

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Nice Starter!!!

Spin your exhaust brackets so the bolts are on the top. Just one lump, bump, or rock and you'll have a tough time getting the nut off and you can bend your exhaust.

Trust me I know.

Eric

'62 SerII

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Thanks for the tip Eric. I think I'm going to replace the brackets to get a better sealing (leaks a little).

The starter works well, but doesn't spin any faster than stock. I was expecting faster engine spin over, but so far, reliable.