• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch question

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
Greetings; I remember reading a post about using a clutch stop to prevent the meltdown of the clutch plate or was it the pressure plate. I am running the stock alpine series 2 clutch master cylinder to a willwood pull slave. This is hooked up to the Jose-tweaked 2.8 engine and the excellent Jose kit. When I look down through the cut-out of the floor, I can see the travel of the clutch actuating rod. It seems to travel about l". The shifting through the gears of the 5-speed seems smooth. My question is, do I still need some sort of clutch stop or isn't that necessary with the wilwood pull slave.I drove the car today but only a couple of blocks since I still don't have license, exhaust system, etc. Thanks to all for the help, its going to be fun.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The reason for using a clutch pedal stop, is that if you don't, you can easily over travel the pressure plate fingers. If you do that, you deform the diaphragm and goodby pressure plate and clutch. Your transmission will shift fine, because the pressure plate has been pushed to where it isn't even close to the disc, but you will hurt the pressure plate. I blew up three sets of pressure plates and clutches, before I finally figured it out. One of these pressure plates was an expensive Center Foirce unit. Some guys refuse to believe me and won't use one, but it won't be long before they are removing the engine and transmission to be able to replace the pressure plate and clutch.

Jose :)

Greetings; I remember reading a post about using a clutch stop to prevent the meltdown of the clutch plate or was it the pressure plate. I am running the stock alpine series 2 clutch master cylinder to a willwood pull slave. This is hooked up to the Jose-tweaked 2.8 engine and the excellent Jose kit. When I look down through the cut-out of the floor, I can see the travel of the clutch actuating rod. It seems to travel about l". The shifting through the gears of the 5-speed seems smooth. My question is, do I still need some sort of clutch stop or isn't that necessary with the wilwood pull slave.I drove the car today but only a couple of blocks since I still don't have license, exhaust system, etc. Thanks to all for the help, its going to be fun.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This is for diaphragm style pressure plates, because they require very little travel, in order to release. The long style (three fingers) pressure plate that the Ford small block requires, needs a bit more travel, so doesn't need the pedal stop.

Jose :)

Is this something unique to the 2.8, or would this pertain to a 260-toploader combo?

gordonra

Donation Time
Where is the pedal stop located?

I would expect that it would be down by the slave cylinder to restrict the the slave travel. Correct?

Does anyone have photo's or a sketch?

Is this a part that could be added to your kit?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The stop is made from 3/8 thick steel plate, and it gets welded to the clutch pedal arm. You just make a 1-1/4" square piece, then drill and tap it with a 5/16" corse thread. Next you weld it to the pedal and put the bolt in it, with the head of the bolt facing the fire wall. Put a jamb nut on the other side to lock it in place, when you figure out where it needs to be.

To adjust it, all you need to do, is place the car on a slight incline. When you have it there, begin to depress the pedal slowly and when the car begins to roll, that is where the stop needs to be. Once the car begins to roll, I would back off the bolt one full turn, so that you are sure the clutch isn't dragging at all. When you have it where it is releasing, tighten the jamb nut and you're done. It really is simple, except for the welding the plate to the clutch pedal.

Jose:)

Where is the pedal stop located?

I would expect that it would be down by the slave cylinder to restrict the the slave travel. Correct?

Does anyone have photo's or a sketch?

Is this a part that could be added to your kit?