• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

clutch master options - RHD

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm looking for a replacement clutch master cylinder for my SII. 5/8".
Its a RHD model, so the clutch master sits underneath the scuttle brace.
The current cylinder has been on there for years, isn't original, needs rebuilding and is a right pain as its taller than original and the cap can't be removed without first undoing the scuttle brace... see photo...

So, I'm looking to replace it with something else, but I'm concerned about finding something that will fit under the brace. An original replacement is the obvious choice but they are pricey, if available...
I don't need originality, but I'm not sure if the usual aftermarket options (eg Wilwood) will fit under the brace. Perhaps I should try to fit a cylinder with a remote reservoir instead?

Any recommendations?
IMG_0112.JPG

alpine_64

Donation Time
I went with a remote reservoir on my rhd sii. The lhd late series Alpines and Tigers used a remote one.

65beam

Donation Time
I used the same master on the series 4 and 5. The clutch master used on all series of LHD Alpines sold in the states were of the integral reservoir type. I have many of these that are used. They were on cars I parted out over the years 107_1011.JPG 100_0549.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
I use the same clutch master on this car. It's hard to see in this photo since it's hid behind the hose.100_0252.JPG

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You can buy a Wilwood master from Summit,Jegs they are a direct Girling copy or buy from Pegasus as Bob said.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not finding the Girling clutch master cylinders like your photos on the Pegasus web site. Do you have a part # or URL?

Those look like Lockheed clutch masters ...

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Mike,
I have been buying Sunbeam parts for my own use for many years. I have quite a stock of parts and can fix anything that could break by just going to one of my parts buildings, my attic or my shop. If you noticed I said the masters I recently bought had the Girling name on them. I didn't specify whether they were brake or clutch. Check out pages 126, 127 and 129. Lots of master options.The clutch masters shown on my cars have been around for years and I still have NOS pieces and many good used pieces in stock with some of them having come from Pegasus, Tiger Tom, SS and others . Why Pegasus still sell masters that have the GIRLING name on them is something I don't have an answer for. Read the description of the masters on page 129. They do sell masters of various sizes with the integral reservoir that can be used for the clutch. They're less than 4 inches in length and 3.5 inches in height. It looks like the supply of the "Tin Can" clutch masters is no longer available. As Joel mentioned, there are many options available. I'm glad I don't have to spend time looking for parts. 103_0089.JPG

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Mike,
I have been buying Sunbeam parts for my own use for many years. I have quite a stock of parts and can fix anything that could break by just going to one of my parts buildings, my attic or my shop. If you noticed I said the masters I recently bought had the Girling name on them. I didn't specify whether they were brake or clutch. Check out pages 126, 127 and 129. Lots of master options.The clutch masters shown on my cars have been around for years and I still have NOS pieces and many good used pieces in stock with some of them having come from Pegasus, Tiger Tom, SS and others . Why Pegasus still sell masters that have the GIRLING name on them is something I don't have an answer for. Read the description of the masters on page 129. They do sell masters of various sizes with the integral reservoir that can be used for the clutch. They're less than 4 inches in length and 3.5 inches in height. It looks like the supply of the "Tin Can" clutch masters is no longer available. As Joel mentioned, there are many options available. I'm glad I don't have to spend time looking for parts. View attachment 18992
Wilwood now makes a short version of the master we all talking about,

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Bob. I think your posts switched topics from brake masters to clutch masters and I was struggling to see how to translate it to answering the OP's question for a specific recommendation that could address his situation.

Thanks,
Mike