• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Master Cylinder

daniel luna

Donation Time
Well Dear Members I have been Driving my SSII for about a year
and have fixed some little PROBLEMS with out any trouble at all
and I had FUN doing most of them but then came this one my
Clutch Master Cylinder gave up on my way to Santa Barbara
so took it out and found that the repair kit was not the same as
the one that I need so called back to find out that my master
cylinder is not for SSI, II, III but rather from a MG now I ask for
help if any body has had anything like this happed or if any body
can tell me any info I will attach a Picture of the Kit.

My Appreciation in advance for any Input
Sincerely Dan N Luna:confused:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

Why don't you just replace your MG unit with a new master from Wilwood? They have masters that look exactly like the old Sunbeam unit. You can call them and tell them the size bore you need and they will send you one. The prices are very reasonable too. The new one will bolt right up to the fire wall and may only need a small modification to get the old push rod from the dead player you have, to work on the new one.

Jose

Well Dear Members I have been Driving my SSII for about a year
and have fixed some little PROBLEMS with out any trouble at all
and I had FUN doing most of them but then came this one my
Clutch Master Cylinder gave up on my way to Santa Barbara
so took it out and found that the repair kit was not the same as
the one that I need so called back to find out that my master
cylinder is not for SSI, II, III but rather from a MG now I ask for
help if any body has had anything like this happed or if any body
can tell me any info I will attach a Picture of the Kit.

My Appreciation in advance for any Input
Sincerely Dan N Luna:confused:

bobw

Donation Time
Hi Jose,

This was a timely post for me. Thank you. I had just found that my clutch master cylinder was seeping. I purchased the Willwood unit with 0.625" bore. That seems to be pretty close to the size of my old clutch master. The style of this unit is more like the right hand drive brake master than the clutch master however.

The threaded rod is much too long. I cut the 'U' bracket off the old unit and drilled and tapped a hole through the center. Thread was 5/16-24. I then cut most of the threaded rod off and screwed the 'U' bracket on as far as it will go. It's still a little longer than the original, but I think it will be OK. The clutch pedal was a little lower than the brake pedal anyway. I thought about welding the threaded shaft to the 'U' bracket, but didn't want to risk damaging the master cylinder, so I just dinged the threads with a punch to keep it from unscrewing. (Doubt that it would anyway.)

There was an elastic band around the base of the dust seal for the shaft. I had to discard that because it wouldn't quit fit through the opening in the firewall. Note the seal is a different design than shown in the catalog.

Catalog image - first photo
Finished result - second two photos

Bob W.

Attachments

• 260-2636.jpg
    260-2636.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 91
  • med_clutch-cylinder-side.jpg
    med_clutch-cylinder-side.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 108
  • med_clutch-cylinder-top.jpg
    med_clutch-cylinder-top.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 92

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
MasterCylinder

The Wilwood master cylinder is a direct copy of the girling unit the differance being the threaded push rod we machine a clevis that fits the pedal
and the master, on most of Wilwoods masters, the push rod will have to be shortened for either the Alpine or Tiger application. or add more spacer to move the cylinder back we make these also.

bobw

Donation Time
Hi Procraft,

It may be a copy of the Girling unit, but it's quite different than the stock clutch master on the Alpine V. Not an issue for me since I'm doing an engine conversion anyway. What fits and works is OK with me. :) Probably not acceptable to the stock alpine folks.

I couldn't find anything about the clevis or spacer on the Wilwood site and I didn't know I could get it if I called. A search feature would be nice. The modifications needed were straightforward and for me this will be an excellent replacement unit.

Bob W.

Attachments

• clutch_master_cylinder.jpg
    clutch_master_cylinder.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 102

bobw

Donation Time
You might want to look at our post a little closer.

Since you mentioned making the clevis and spacer, I assumed they were available. There wasn't any mention of any other source so the first guess was Wilwood. I have to check your profile to find out you are in Indiana. There was insufficient information. :)

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Master Cylinders

Heres the deal folks ,We are a Wilwood Dealer here in Indiana we've been building front brake kits for about 12 years for both Tigers and Alpines, we also machine clevis and firewall spacers as Wilwood doesn't supply them.

Joel Griffin
Procraft Custom Fabrication
Cloverdale Indiana

Victor

Donation Time
clutch master cylinder for Sunbeam V

Can u really convert to a willdwood? I am in need of a cylinder for 1967

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have access to a "real" hardware store you can find an assortment of aluminum clevis's that will work w/ this mod.
If you need one quick ...