• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch install series 2

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello and Happy New Year!
I finally have my original series 2 engine back from the engine builders. Before I put it back in the car I am looking for advice regarding the pressure plate. I have 2 units to choose from (see pictures) The one with the white stamp is original to the car but has some surface rust. The other came with another engine that I didn't use. The original seems to have less wear but has more corrosion visible.
Is there anything I should do to either one before I put back in car. I have a new clutch disc ready to go. Many thanks. John20240103_161543.jpg20240103_161604.jpg

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hello and Happy New Year!
I finally have my original series 2 engine back from the engine builders. Before I put it back in the car I am looking for advice regarding the pressure plate. I have 2 units to choose from (see pictures) The one with the white stamp is original to the car but has some surface rust. The other came with another engine that I didn't use. The original seems to have less wear but has more corrosion visible.
Is there anything I should do to either one before I put back in car. I have a new clutch disc ready to go. Many thanks. JohnView attachment 30643View attachment 30644

I would not install either of those clutch covers without having the pressure plate re-surfaced.

Ditto for the flywheel if the friction surface is in similar condition.

JMO, YMMV.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
John,
Both Barrys and Dans advice is spot on. You have as new engine, why would you want to use old parts.
You can send your pressure plate to Falcon Clutch in Long Island for a resurfacing. If you don't have a good
local machinist, send me your flywheel and I'll have mine resurface that for you. It costs somewhere around
$75 to get it done.
Cheers!
Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Agree with all the above...
And I'd add you should lighten the flywheel per the series II special tunning guide and then have it and the pressure plate balanced as a unit.

The lightening doesnt have any negative impact on drivability.. but engine will be smoother and more responsive

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
John,
Both Barrys and Dans advice is spot on. You have as new engine, why would you want to use old parts.
You can send your pressure plate to Falcon Clutch in Long Island for a resurfacing. If you don't have a good
local machinist, send me your flywheel and I'll have mine resurface that for you. It costs somewhere around
$75 to get it done.
Cheers!
St

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the advice. Thats what I suspected. The flywheel has been done by the engine builders. I wondered if I should change out the roller bearing as well? The original carbon one is in place at the moment. Thanks again. John

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
How worn is your throw out bearing? I do have access to a roller type if you need one.

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
How worn is your throw out bearing? I do have access to a roller type if you need one.
Hi Steve. Its the original. Doesn't look too bad. I'll take picture this weekend. Unfortunately I moved the car to NH but I work on Cape cod during the week.
I am using the original gearbox as there's not much left in the kitty after paying for the engine. Which came out great run in and ready to go!
Thanks for the offer of your machine shop. The flywheel was done along with the engine. I am on the lookout for a clutch master if you have one? All the best. John

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I had a real run around trying to find a company to do the resurface of the pressure plate. The guy in long Island had a rebuilt one in stock but was around 600 with shipping. I bought one on ebay. Looks identical but was made by Quinton Hazell. Its a nos hoping it works out!! There's also a uk company Precision clutch that rebuilds them for 130 pounds plus shipping.

Attachments

• 20240106_085529.jpg
    20240106_085529.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The throw out bearing looks fairly worn unless I am missing something. Here's a picture of a new one.

1704575482717.png

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
That throw out bearing was bought from Sunbeam Specialties in 2014 when I was swapping out the standard gearbox with an overdrive gearbox. I have a series 5, so that is part TB5. But they list another part number for the earlier series - TB2. TB2 is probably a slightly larger diameter bearing since the earlier series is 8" while the later series is 7-1/4".

1704595344200.png

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
BIG WARNING on the TO bearings.... Many of the repro ones are not dimensionally correct .. to shallow and the carbon surface can brake free of the casing... They were some indian brand iirc.. purell or similar name...so don't just install.. check it against the old one.

I had 2 fail and found a very good used original and went with that...no issues.

Posted about this in an old version of the forum... Must have been around 2012.