• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch - Double Step to engage

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Double clutching was a widely used technique for downshifting non-synchronized transmissions without either stopping or grinding the gears. The process was:

1. Push the clutch pedal in
2. Put the transmission in neutral
3. Let the clutch pedal out
4. Rev the engine to the correct RPM
5. Push the clutch pedal in
6. Shift the transmission into the lower gear
7. Let the clutch pedal out​

It sounds complicated, but with practice, it can be done very quickly and quietly.

Based on post #18, it seems clear that Randall is talking about having to "pump" the clutch pedal rather than "double clutching" which means back to the list in post #4.

chubby

Donation Time
On closer examination of the clutch fluid - looks a milky brown, so I am first going to bleed and replace the fluid and see if that helps.

Thanks Gents, much Appreciated.

Randall

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Milky brown fluid should mean corrosion in the clutch master or slave or both. I expect you will need to rebuild the master and slave.

Mike

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I encountered this exact same problem this summer. Clutch had been working fine for years. A year ago I noticed the need to occasionally push the clutch pedal twice to shift into first from a stop. Last summer the problem had worsened such that with the clutch pedal depressed, even after pumping, the car would start to creep forward. Turns out that in my haste to get the car back on the road some 10 years ago, I installed a clutch master cylinder with some pitting deep inside the cylinder. Should have had the cylinder sleeved back then, but again, after 20 years, I was looking forward to driving it again. The pitting eventually caused the main cup to wear away. The secondary cup was fine, so no fluid ever leaked out the back side of the the cylinder, but when the pedal was depressed and the system was under pressure, the fluid would bleed back into the reservoir. And my fluid was discolored as well....from all the tiny bits of finely ground rubber from the main cup.