• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Disengaging Problem

mferris

Donation Time
I drove my '66 for a 35 mile run, and then parked it for 2 weeks. Now, when I try to run it - the clutch engages almost on the floor - i.e. if I press the pedal to the floor, put it in gear, then even slightly release the pedal from the floor, the car engages and starts to move forward.

Fluid level looks fine, I have not yet flushed it - but this seems like the opposite (?) of needing a new clutch - more like an adjustment that I have messed up somehow?

I had noticed that the car was increasingly difficult to get *out* of reverse, but now the same type of symptom may be happening in the forward gears?

Seems like a simple mechanical problem, just looking for my missing logic.

-M

RootesRacer

Donation Time
At the very least, air has leaked into the hydraulics.

You may also find fluid has leaked out, but this is not always the case.

Check for fluid on the carpet above the clutch pedal, this is your most likley culprit. Next look for fluid on or below the slave cyl.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, when this happened to me, with no fluid found leaked anywhere, the problem was a defective slave. The inner seal on the piston would let fluid past.

Have you tried pumping the pedal ? I found I could temporarily get a better release, but could not hold that release for long.

Tom

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just went through similar issues with my 66 SeriesV. Check out my "Clutch Hydraulics Bleed" thread. Same problem you are having was fixed with new seals in the clutch master cylinder. Seal kit is available at SS for $9.50. The major challenge was bleeding the hydraulics.
Alpiner

PK

Donation Time
Clutch Problems

I'm doing a V-6 conversion; re-built engine and T-5; Wilwood Master and Slave Cylinder. Problem: the clutch pedal stays hard to push, but the clutch doesn't release. Anyone have similar issues?

pk

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It would be best to start a new thread for this topic in the Modified section.

Mike

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Similar issue with my SV a couple of years back. fractured hydraulic line at the slave from engine vibration. also if you have had the slave out, be certain the bleed screw is upper-most, and not below the hydraulic feed line. Easy enough to install the slave upside-down, I know, I did it.
Bobbo