• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clear Inline Fuel Filter (From Mechanical Pump to Carb)

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
What is everyone using for their cars?

I've been reading up on Microns and other miscellany on this for carbs and so forth. General rule seems to be 40 Microns if your system is carbureted and from what I've read, the glass metal types are absolute poison. Was curious if there was a better/worse one to use, which one to avoid and which ones to buy stock in.

Thoughts?

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well... a clear plastic one from Wix or NAPA that fits the hose will work fine. Wix 33002 is rated at 20 microns. The smallest jet in the carb is maybe 0.021" or 500+ microns. Wix 33001 is 1/4" fuel line size, don't know micron rating on that one. Are your tanks rusty?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've been using a Wix 33011 on my SV since 2015 when I had my Strombergs rebuilt. The filter quickly showed me my fuel tanks were losing their factory inner paint seal and needed to be cleaned and sealed. I never gave any thought to the filter micron rating.

Mike

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Well... a clear plastic one from Wix or NAPA that fits the hose will work fine. Wix 33002 is rated at 20 microns. The smallest jet in the carb is maybe 0.021" or 500+ microns. Wix 33001 is 1/4" fuel line size, don't know micron rating on that one. Are your tanks rusty?
Mine were redone before and I just replaced the filler side tank with a brand new one thanks to Al Mason. The filter I had on there was yellowing and I decided to change it out just out of concern of safety, so I figured I'd ask about it just in case.

Thanks Shannon and Mike!

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
What makes some sense is hanging one in the MK2 location . The horizontal layout would or could trap a little water or condensation and alert you to a problem.
I've seen some big honking marine diesel style ones added above the spare tire well that even had water separators.

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure why you have heard glass/metal types are absolute poison. Have been using one for years without any issues. Would welcome any incite.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Not sure why you have heard glass/metal types are absolute poison. Have been using one for years without any issues. Would welcome any incite.
I should say the glass -and- metal constructed ones. There's a lot of criticism out there on them causing all sorts of issues. If your experience is different, I'd love to hear about your experiences and which one(s) you use and how you have it installed.

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
I installed a Mr. Gasket Clearview inline fuel filter (100 micron) in the fuel line just below the "T" connector to the two CD 150 carburetors on my Series V. There are fuel filter replacement elements to change out when needed. Never have had any problems with the filter. FYI, I did have the two fuel tanks overhauled several years ago when I did body work and repainted the car. Good luck!