• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chrome headlabp bezel.

Nickodell

Donation Time
headlabp bezel

I suppose the low price is due to their only being one, like advertising one ski. However, if someone was missing just one he got an amazing bargain. By the way, Jeff, got that adenoid problem fixed yet?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Is that an Alpine part number cast into it? From the photo, it looks like it's the extra long version, for Rapier's I think...

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
headlabp bezel

I suppose the low price is due to their only being one, like advertising one ski. However, if someone was missing just one he got an amazing bargain. By the way, Jeff, got that adenoid problem fixed yet?

?????????????????????
I don't get it.
And from someone always correcting everyone's spelling and grammar, you might check your own posts a little better.

"due to their only being one"

The correct would be either:
due to thier only selling one, or,
due to there only being one.

Nickodell

Donation Time
??????????????????????
I don't get it.

It was supposed to be a joking reference to your "Headlabp." You know, as "Headlamp" might sound when spoken by one suffering from adenoids. Never mind.

And from someone always correcting everyone's spelling and grammar, you might check your own posts a little better.

"due to their only being one"

The correct would be either:
due to thier only selling one, or,
due to there only being one.

Thanks for the correction. However ...

"Due to their only being" is grammatically correct, although it is true that a more elegant construction would have been "being only one." The construction is known as a gerund (you can look it up: Put "being: gerund" in Google's subject line). A gerund is a verb participle [in this instance, "being"] used as a noun, and always takes the preceeding pronoun [in this instance, "their"] in the possessive (AKA genetive) case. Here's a few similar examples:

"Dale Ernhardt's death was probably due to his [not "him"] being [the gerund] improperly secured."

"The damage was because on my [not "me"] having [gerund] used the wrong oil."

"The damage to his knees was the result of his [not "him"] playing [gerund] football."

If I were (before you correct me: That is the subjunctive case, i.e. posing a case contrary to the facts [e.g. "I wish I were still on vacation"] so one uses "were," not "was") "always correcting everyone's spelling and grammar" I would be doing nothing else. I do occasionally do so, it is true, because as an English teacher, albeit part-time, I am fighting a rearguard action to try to defend our language - the global lingua franca, the greatest one in the history of mankind, the language of Milton, Wordsworth and Shakespeare, the language of commerce, of science, of communications and diplomacy, one of the main factors that has helped to unite billions of people worldwide - against the disease of illiteracy that is sweeping both this country and the country of its birth, England.

Illiteracy, bad grammar, juvenile spelling and ignorance of punctuation begins in schools because the teachers theirselves being [notice how I slipped a gerund and its possessive pronoun in!] largely illiterate, products of the same incomptent educational system, and nothing will change so long as the teachers' unions have the Democrat party by the balls, or in Hillary's case t*ts. We spend more money, by far, on education than any other country in the world, and have a literacy rate easily exceeded by third-world countries.

I spent some time in Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua in the 90s, and these poor countries, most of whose people live in tiny huts made of cement blocks and corrugated iron roofs, have literacy rates of 95% while hundreds of thousands of our kids are turned out each year by the high schools with diplomas that they can't read.

Anyhow, please feel free to point out what you think are my mistakes. I'm not too old to learn. But remember: People who live in glass houses ...

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
wat a shaim that we be koreckting wun anudder like dis. Kan we jus hav phun on da sight an gwow up?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Nick,

In order to satisfy my curiosity, I attempted to diagram sentence two in paragraph six of the second section of your post. While I was not entirely successful in my quest to wrangle this six-line slab of comma-laced carnage, I did begin to notice a surprising similarity between said diagram and the Series V wiring diagram in the workshop manual. When presented in this new light, I discovered the root cause of SV alternator/voltage regulator failure, the three main culprits of temperature/fuel gauge inaccuracies, and a clever way to bypass the overdrive solenoid altogether, turning it, instead, into a fully-functioning, fail-proof electric brake booster. Sadly, all of this only works when you change your car to Positive Ground.

:D This is, of course, all in fun! (And should probably now be in chit-chat.)

Must go, as I'm off to order up my made-from-scratch wheel hubs.

Happy writing!
Ken

O

odl21

nick - what you're failing to grasp here is that perfect grammar and capitalisation may have their place in formal writing but are an unnecessary hinderance to productiveity in internet forums. not everyone has all day to sit around and proof read their posts. i agree that some form of punctuation is useful but, personally, i consider capitalisation completely devoid of purpose...

also "their only being one" is not correct in this case. if you use 'their' to refer to the seller, the number of them is not relevant ('mu', if you like) and if you intend it refer to the bezels, well there are not more than one so again it doesn't make sense.

jeff is correct - either "their only listing one", or "there only being one".

Nickodell

Donation Time
You and Jeff are correct. I goofed on that one in using the wrong pronoun, and I owe him an apology. Instead of their, I should have used the impersonal possessive its before the gerund, as in "its being the only one." However, I don't believe Jeff's "thier" exists :)

nick - what you're failing to grasp here is that perfect grammar and capitalisation may have their place in formal writing but are an unnecessary hinderance to productiveity in internet forums. not everyone has all day to sit around and proof read their posts. i agree that some form of punctuation is useful but, personally, i consider capitalisation completely devoid of purpose...

That is virtually word-for-word the response my wife and I got from my son's 9th-grade teacher in a Parent/Teacher meeting when we questioned how he could have received an A for an essay containing several basic errors. Her actual words, as I remember, were: "We don't fret about trivial errors so long as the meaning is clear. We don't want to inhibit their creativity with minutae."

When I asked whether an architect should ignore trivia such as material strengths, soil compressibility and wind forces, because they would "inhibit his creativity," she went on to the next subject. That was 26 years ago, but from what I hear things have only got(ten) worse since.

I don't buy it. Writing without the use of capitalization, and ignoring most punctuation, is lazy; it is like going out unshaven and rationalizing it by saying shaving serves no purpose because it just grows back again and I only shave when going to a formal occasion. For example, here is a sentence using capitals:

"After the other riders dismounted, I helped my Uncle Jack off." Now try it in your no-capitals style. I don't think you would consider them "completely devoid of purpose"!

Commas (and other punctuation marks) are not unimportant formalities, they are essential for clarity. Missing commas, or their incorrect placement, can cause either ambiguity or a total misapprehension of the intended meaning. Examples:

Missing commas: Some years ago the Republican Party platform statement contained this: We oppose excessive taxes that slow economic growth. Several literate people pointed out that this could be taken to mean that Republicans only oppose excessive taxes that slow economic growth; other excessive taxes are OK. The statement was then changed by the insertion of a tiny [unimportant?] comma after the word taxes, the sentence now imparting the intended meaning: All excessive taxes slow economic growth.

Incorrect or redundant placement
: What is ambiguous about the following? "My friend, Jim, is an accomplished pianist"? It could mean that Jim is my only friend. It would be a correct use in this context: "My mother, June, is an accomplished pianist," as I only have one mother.

See how removing the two commas make everything clear: "My friend Jim is an accomplished pianist."

Certainly, one should avoid esoteric words that are virtually never used in ordinary speech, but the use of capitalization and punctuation is nothing to do with "formal" writing; they are are as essential as the correct clearance in a bearing. Pooh-poohing them is usually an excuse used by people who were either never taught, and/or are too damned lazy to learn, the proper use of our language. That is the same excuse used by those who defend street jive by calling it Black English, or Ebonics. [Decline the verb "to be" in Ebonics: "I be, you be, he be, she be, we be, they be."]

The root cause can be exemplified by a note my son brought home from school, seeking our permission for his going on a field trip: "The students will learn alot and we will try to make it as fun as possible." Two pieces of ignorant illiteracy in one sentence (there is no such word as alot, and as is an adverb; it cannot be used to modify the noun fun). And these are the people in whose hands we place the future citizens of the country. I was of a mind to send it back with correction in red ink, and "careless; see me!" However, my wife talked me out of it.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Nick,

In order to satisfy my curiosity, I attempted to diagram sentence two in paragraph six of the second section of your post. While I was not entirely successful in my quest to wrangle this six-line slab of comma-laced carnage, I did begin to notice a surprising similarity between said diagram and the Series V wiring diagram in the workshop manual. When presented in this new light, I discovered the root cause of SV alternator/voltage regulator failure, the three main culprits of temperature/fuel gauge inaccuracies, and a clever way to bypass the overdrive solenoid altogether, turning it, instead, into a fully-functioning, fail-proof electric brake booster. Sadly, all of this only works when you change your car to Positive Ground.
Ken

Ken: If you use it, be sure to have the Lucas dictionary and thesaurus near you!

alpine_64

Donation Time
The headlight rim on ebay that started this post might have gone cheaply as the photo made it hard to determine if it was in fact for an Alpine. The peak looked a little large, but maybe it’s just the light/angle of the photo. Either way sometimes things sell for lots, sometimes for little, it depends who/how many people need it at that given moment. A good case was Ian’s non-peaked chrome rims that went cheaply compared to recent values, looked like a great buy, but perhaps that market has now rationalized itself.

As for the other rubbish that’s going on in this thread, most of us are here to talk Sunbeams, some people are here to validate their lonely lives by railroading genuine Sunbeam questions, statements and topics with their own personal idiosyncrasies that nobody else seems to have issues with. Best to ignore them and hope they find a site thats about spelling and gramar.. maybe they will post Sunbeam questions there, because they sure as hell don't post them on here.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe reproductions of the headlamp peaks are available in chrome or painted from Kip Motors in Dallas.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I see now, I hadn't noticed my original heading being spelled wrong.
Let alone my other typo's.
Thanks for the proof-read, must be the Vicodin, let alone all the other crap they have me taking.
I seriously had no clue what you were talking about though Nick.
Have a great Thanksgiving all!
(Thought I'd get an early start)