• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chrome bumpers

pcmenten

Donation Time
I have one bumper and it needs to be re-chromed. I live in the Portland area (Vancouver, WA). I have checked out the local chrome shops and there are complaints about all the ones I've found.

Can anybody recommend a place to get my bumper fixed? I found a thread that recommend VanNuysPlating.com. I suppose I'll package and ship my bumper to them if nothing else.

TIA,

Paul

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Price

Vs. the E.P.A. and The California A.Q.M.D. That is who the chrome guys bag on when I have complained about the cost of plating. Be interested to know what is charged and if you get a copper nickel then chrome plate. Please advise on your exp. in the Northwest as well as in Cali. If you get a good quote on price in LA I have more than one set of core bumpers. The ones on my driver look good from 10'.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
bumper

I've been using a guy in Indy, Metal Finishing, for years but Ive been straighting the bumpers my self only problem he's a little tardy sometimes
there are two people in Pa. Pauls also advance in Nashville Tn.
Advance quoted me 550 bucks per bumper 300 from the guy I'm using.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What Plating or should I ask is base plating copper? How many coats of chrome?

My Chrome guy copper plates everything first but is very busy. Nice work though!

A shop in Tenn aroud Erwin, Kingsport or Elizabethon does not copper plate in his quotes of about $600 per Alpine Bumper.

I went with the "Stainless" but never again! All round very poor quality>

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
A friend had his bumpers done at a place in Vernon BC for about $350 each (IIRC). They look pretty good. Since Vernon isn't that far away from you, if you are interested I can confirm and get contact info.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I had a pair of bumpers chromed at a place here in Atlanta for $350.00 each. They look ok when viewed straight-on but from the side they are wavy looking.

I'm not sure what causes the wavy appearance but I'd ask about that upfront if ever I go to a chrome shop again.

That's definitely a problem on a concours car but also a serious annoyance on a driver.