• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

chevy rods

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've done the Chevy Rod mod. I followed Jim Stone's concepts as he wrote in the Alpine Marque, issue 11. but with some input from Jan's Tedder Project article in issue 14.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=86

I think most of us used Chevy rods from their 6 cyl block. I think they require less modification than the V8 rods.

When I did mine, I bought custom pistons from Venolia, which allowed me to add stroke, move the wrist pin position, reduce dish on the top and maintain about the same Compression ratio, even while doing the Vizard mod to the head.

The custom pistons were not much more expensive than new regular pistons.

Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I could find a GM part number I would try to buy them new. If I can't do that, I would get them out of a running engine, and then have them checked for roundness on the big end. Try to get the I6 set of rods, so then you will surely get 4 good rods. That's what happened to me and I found only one bad rod (slightly out of round checked on a rod testing jig).
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The GM rods in question use pressed in pins, which means that some machining will be needed to add a little end bush.

There are a few sellers on ebay that sell re-manufactured I6 chevy rods.

The aftermarket crower rods are for floating pins.

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
part numbers sure would be nice. I've found this info on the 4cly

2.5L 153 CHEVY 62-70 4 CYL GM CONNECTING ROD

The 4 online part sources no longer have listings Autozone, Rockauto, Advanced Auto, and Orileys. I've also started down the marine applications since I have 2 gm 4cly a 2.5 and 3.0. So far that has been a rabbit hole. I've found 1 eBay listing on recondition rods and i've contacted them.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Those Eagle rods look pretty nice. I would ask them for a measurement of its girth, just to check it will fit down into the cylinder bore. Even the 5.7 Chevy rod needs a little trimming (using a 4" high speed disk grinder) to make it fit the bore.
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Those Eagle rods look pretty nice. I would ask them for a measurement of its girth, just to check it will fit down into the cylinder bore. Even the 5.7 Chevy rod needs a little trimming (using a 4" high speed disk grinder) to make it fit the bore.
Jan

I would very much assume it will need some machining for the bore, then some shot peening to normalize the surface.