• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Chevy Rod engine

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
FInally got my 1725 block and crank back from the machine shop. With 3.248 custom pistons and 0.100 added stroke it should be about an 1820 cc engine.
I am using Chevy rods and Venolia pistons, following the suggestions of several people here.

What have others done about the "side squirt" holes, just above the big end. These were on the stock rods to squirt some oil onto the thrust side of the cylinder walls. I know there was discussion about this a few years ago,. but I think the posts are gone and I do not remember the conclusion

Thanks,

Tom Hayden

George Farrell

Donation Time
Tom,

I asked this question two years ago, thinking the squirt hole was directed toward the cam, but your idea makes more sense. Anyway, I ended up doing nothing and have just under twenty thousand miles on the engine with no problems, so far. If I experience any, I'll do a post.

George

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, George. I remember reading quite few posts about the subject a few years ago. I suspect they were the result of your question. And I remember reading that the purpose was to lube the cylinder walls. I also remember reading one post that quoted an engine builder who said essentially, "there is enough oil being splashed around in there so it's not needed"

But your experience over almost 20,000 miles is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Tom H

Jim E

Donation Time
Would seem there is a market for a off the shelf piston for the 5.7 inch chevy rod conversion. Say something around 40 or 60 over the stock bore, depending on what ring set would be in that area. Piston should run a press fit pin and have a compression hieght that would be good for a stock stroke. or even two pistons one for the stock stroke and one for a 100 thou stroked crank. Would seem if a piston like this was ordered from one of the piston makers we could get a part number or order reference and be able to just call and order them.