• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Changing out wire wheel hubs for 4 bolt hubs

jack Bacon

Donation Time
I am going to be changing out my wire wheel hubs for 4 bolt hubs to mount Minilites. My question is are the rear hubs pressed on and if so the best way for removal.

Regards,

Jack

alpine_64

Donation Time
the rear hubs should be removed with a spline puller. If you press them off you will bell the ends of the housing and probably break a press or two. There are different recomendations of the hub pullers people used in the past on the old forum.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
You know, Jack, if you want to be our tester of cheap tools, I noticed a hydraulic puller at Harbor Freight the other day. Don't remember much about dimensions and specs, but the 'tonnage' seemed pretty darned high. It might make a good basis for a hub puller modification. Or, it might live up to the quality Harbor Freight name and be barely adequate for a single-time use.

I seem to recall Jan had something made up to do the deed, similar to the offical shop tool. Wonder if there was a different one for wire wheel hubs...

Ken