• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Changing engine position?

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I have a set of weber 40 DCOEs on my series II and because of the poor design of the TWM manifold my left hand drive steering box interferes with the rear carb just a bit. Usually when I let of the throttle or go over a speed bump.

All of my engine and tranny mount bolts are tight and reasonably sound.

What I was wondering is: can I put a small spacer under the left engine mount thereby turning the engine away from the steering box about 1/4"?

I wouldn't think this would be an issue but I'm sure some of you know more than me.

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

Jim E

Donation Time
I do not think it would cause a problem, since the carbs can be tilted up over level, do not recall the degree allowed. I would slack the radiator hose when I did it just to be sure and not put it in a bind.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Its totally doable, but the TWM intake already has the carbs at a bad angle, putting a spacer only on one side will make that worse.

How about putting spacers under both. 3/8s at the mount should be 1/4 inch at the carb due to the angle of the mounts.

FYI I run the TWM 0077 with weber 40s on my SII and other than removing the master cyl spacer and changing one bolt on the steering box for a flathead screw, I dont have clearance issues.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
JArrid

I'll give the flat head a try as I just touch occasionally and it's really unnerving as it sends vibrations up to the steering wheel as well.

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I removed the lock washer under the offending cheese head screw on the back carb and I put in a flat head screw on the steering box and I have about 3/16" space now so I should be OK.

I put removable locktite on the Cheese head screw to keep it in place.

Thanks Jarrid, now I know why you get the big bucks.

Eric

'62 SerII

RootesRacer

Donation Time
A hard downshift or decel in a low gear might still cause the carb to hit the box, albeit in a new location.

Now for extra credit you can build a "strap" engine limiter that wont let it get any closer then the 3/16 you currently measure.

Obviously the strap will be on the passenger side of the motor.

Do it with a strap and the engine wont transmit any more vibration to the chassis than it already does.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Jarrid

If you're running pretty much the same setup as I am how did you work out the left side strut brace situation?

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid
If you're running pretty much the same setup as I am how did you work out the left side strut brace situation?
'62 SerII

I solved it with fuel injection:D

I never did have it resolved with webers in place and frankly it is a significant reduction in body rigidity not having it. I have experienced the bonnet popping out of the bonnet latch after hitting a decent bump.

If I was hell bent to fit it, I would make a reinforced brace that bends around the rear weber.

As it stands, the DCOE compatible EFI air doors are much shorter than carbs and the brace fits as proper.