• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

center steering rod

phatt

Donation Time
Has anyone bought and installed a center steering rod from Rootes Posy Vintage Spares? If so, did it improve your steering? How hard was it to install? I will be pulling the engine and transmission on my Series V in about 5-6 weeks. Thanks, Paul:rolleyes:

Derek

Donation Time
Steering cross tube

Yes I have done this. Hard to say if it made the steering better in my case as I re-did the entire suspension, this really did make a difference. Installing the cross tube is easy, getting the old one out can be a pain. What I finnaly came up with was to back the nuts off, get under the car and use an air hammer with a tip that fits inside the backed off nut (used to retain the air hammer chisle) and give it a blast. This popped the fittings right out. I dont have a lift in my garage and there is just no way to get any kind of force on those things. It took about 5 weeks to get the part, but they are good to deal with, and having ball joints with grease fittings is far better than old worn rubber bushings no matter how you look at it.

Derek

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The airhammer chisel sounds like a great idea since applying a puller in the limited space is a real pain in the neck. Another approach would be to replace the old rubber bushings with polyurethane ones. Did it on my car with good results (some flexibility remains while no more wear). Some UK dealers do offer them...