• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Celica W50 transmission

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
So, I'm going to check out a Toyota Celica W50 5-speed transmission as a possible substitute for my current all-sync OD trans. I know there are some running a Celica trans. Which specific one are you running, and what are your thoughts about driveability vs. the original OD trans? This will be behind a healthy but standard 1725. I have 4.22 and 3.89 rear ends available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission#W50

Alpine vs. Celica
1st 3.12 vs. 3.287
2nd 1.99 vs. 2.043
3rd 1.295 vs. 1.394
4th 1 vs. 1
5th .803 vs. .853

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ken,

"So, I'm going to check out a Toyota Celica W50 5-speed transmission as a possible substitute for my current all-sync OD trans"

you say you are running a all-sync OD transmission... why would you swap to a celica box?

I can only imagine wanting to swap if you busted the mainshaft on the OD trans or you were about to modify the motor VERY heavily or didnt have the OD in the first place.

The stock alpine all sync OD box is a delight in my opinion.. and you dont have to start mucking around with new bellhousings, modified tunnel shifter locations and output shaft splines, speedo gearing/connection ect of doing a trans swap.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The stock alpine all sync OD box is a delight in my opinion.. and you dont have to start mucking around with new bellhousings, modified tunnel shifter locations and output shaft splines, speedo gearing/connection etc of doing a trans swap.

I'm with you... I love the Alpine box with OD. Besides, you're changing out a 6-speed gearbox (1, 2, 3, 3OD, 4, 4OD) for only a 5-speed.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it... I really should be encouraging you...

Hey, that Celica box is great idea! ...Oh... BTW... can I have your old junky Alpine box, please? :)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
So, I'm going to check out a Toyota Celica W50 5-speed transmission as a possible substitute for my current all-sync OD trans. I know there are some running a Celica trans. Which specific one are you running, and what are your thoughts about driveability vs. the original OD trans? This will be behind a healthy but standard 1725. I have 4.22 and 3.89 rear ends available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission#W50

Alpine vs. Celica
1st 3.12 vs. 3.287
2nd 1.99 vs. 2.043
3rd 1.295 vs. 1.394
4th 1 vs. 1
5th .803 vs. .853

Yeah, unless your OD is somehow shot, the alpine box yields better ratios in all respects. I read however that there are other W50 transmission derivatives (like the W58) that have some much nicer ratios.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I actually like the original trans just fine, and feel that migrating from 4.22 to 3.89 over the winter will make me like the setup even more for highway use. That said, I wanted to check if the 'grass was greener' on the Celica side of the fence (having not driven that particular combination.)

Is there anyone looking for a 5-speed substitute as a winter project?

Would it be appropriate for the Darkside crowd, or is the T5 the current favorite?

(My apologies to those circling for my OD gearbox...)

And, in my original post, I should have written "this would be behind..." rather than "this will be behind..." My bad.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
W50 box is a good swap, Have been running mine for about 7years and at 33mpg it is great I am using a 3.70 rear!:cool: