• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

CD Stromberg T piece

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
In the stock setup, I don't think any rubber hoses were used. The supply tube on the fuel tee was 1/4" and the carb nipples are 1/4", so that tee you found looks promising. The ends of the top piece would need to be shortened to fit between the carb nipples. I think the key question is whether after shortening the ends of the top piece, is there enough length to secure a hose and connect the tee to the carb nipple. I think there might be enough length left.

Mike

1681083428299.png

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’m also trying to fix a leaking tee between my Strombergs. I finally ground off the compression nuts and ferrules thinking I’ll replace them. The end of the nipples from the carbs are only 5/16” apart. Does anyone know if the moss jag tee can be trimmed to fit? Thanks. Rick2BE5F4BF-E61E-493D-81B2-1BA73D962307.jpeg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have ordered the Moss jaguar tee to check it out. Will report back once I have it in hand.

You mentioned compression nuts and ferrules. What were you using for a tee previously?

Mike

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is the arrangement that worked for years. Until it didn’t. Thanks Mike.
Rick

Attachments

• 89CE1038-9F3B-4D7C-A1E9-1D81F4D07FDD.jpeg
    89CE1038-9F3B-4D7C-A1E9-1D81F4D07FDD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
I am just finishing up my Very long restoration of my 67 SV, and when I purchased it eons ago it had a T hanging below the inlets to the CD 150’s with fuel hoses going to each.
After reading all the conversations here and other post’s on the topic I decided to go with the the compression T as several others have done.

Attachments

• 32236E4D-1E5F-4C92-80EE-96FBC5E9CE81.jpeg
    32236E4D-1E5F-4C92-80EE-96FBC5E9CE81.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, both the compression nuts on the run of the tee dripped. They wouldn’t tighten anymore so l split the nuts & ferrules & removed them from the shafts. The shafts had some scoring. I installed new nuts, ferrules and wrapped the ferrules in the yellow (gas compatible) Teflon tape. There is still a drip on one side. The scoring is visible in the attached pic. Thanks.
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpeg
    IMG_5943.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 18

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yellow PTFE tape is thicker than white PTFE tape and is intended for use with gases such as butane, methane and propane. With respect to yellow PTFE tape, the term "gas" is not a reference to gasoline.

Tube-and-ferrule compression fittings do not require sealants.

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, both the compression nuts on the run of the tee dripped. They wouldn’t tighten anymore so l split the nuts & ferrules & removed them from the shafts. The shafts had some scoring. I installed new nuts, ferrules and wrapped the ferrules in the yellow (gas compatible) Teflon tape. There is still a drip on one side. The scoring is visible in the attached pic. Thanks.
Rick

Rick,

I think you may need to replace the carb nipple connectors before making a new compression joint to get a good seal. You can see the deformation from where the ferrule was compressed in the picture below. I've been meaning to research how to replace those connectors, but haven't done so yet. I believe I have spare connectors that came in a Stromberg kit from Sunbeam Specialties. So hopefully those parts are replaceable and are still available.

1681746182354.png

Mike

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I'm sure you're correct. I was very careful to cut into the nuts & ferrules just enough to split them. But that damage was underneath and it leaked.
I called Joe Curto to ask about replacing the shafts and he didn't think there was enough material there to drill and tap.
It's interesting there are nipples that came in a kit. If there is a procedure for pressing them in I'll give it a try.
Thanks for your help.
Rick

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do not see any way that a tube-and-ferule connection can be made to work on that deformed carb inlet tube, but I think that some gentle smoothing of the carb inlet tube with a fine flat file and emery cloth would allow a rubber hose & clamp to seal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If the tubes can’t be replaced (but I think a decent machinist could), I’d consider cleaning them up and using silver solder to build up any deformed areas, then carefully file and sand to the proper shape.

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
While replacing bent metering needles on both of my CD carbs I noticed a plastic tee between my carbs!
I ordered the brass tee from rent/the lotus guy.The tee is large(2"across).Has anyone installed one of these on their car?
What did you modify to make the part fit?
Thanks,
Howard

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
A friend of mine just got one of the brass T"s and sent me this note

"I checked the brass one against the plastic T sold by Sunbeam Specialties. The first barb on each side needs cut off to make the brass one the same width as the plastic T. The center sections where the fuel line from the pump hooks on are almost the same width."

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
A friend of mine just got one of the brass T"s and sent me this note

"I checked the brass one against the plastic T sold by Sunbeam Specialties. The first barb on each side needs cut off to make the brass one the same width as the plastic T. The center sections where the fuel line from the pump hooks on are almost the same width."
The plastic tee ends slide over the carb fuel nipples. The brass tee ends will need to be flush with the carb fuel nipples and then attach a hose to make the joint between the carb fuel nipple and brass tee. It sounds like that brass tee might be too wide.

Mike

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info(Eric and Mike).I'm skeptical about making the barbed brass tee fit.I think I'll buy some alternative tees as back-up before I disable my car and then have to search for a fix.I'll let you know what I come up with.
H

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks to everyone who has weighed in on this issue. This morning I was at Joe Curto's shop. He had the metal Jag tee from Moss that Kevin referenced. It doesn't look like it's possible to cut that tee and fit it between the carb nipples with a piece of hose and 2 clamps.
He is going to look at replacing those two nipples for me. I'll let you know how it works out.
Rick

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks to everyone who has weighed in on this issue. This morning I was at Joe Curto's shop. He had the metal Jag tee from Moss that Kevin referenced. It doesn't look like it's possible to cut that tee and fit it between the carb nipples with a piece of hose and 2 clamps.
He is going to look at replacing those two nipples for me. I'll let you know how it works out.
Rick
Rick,

Did you consider shortening the carb fuel nipples as an option to get the Jaguar tee to fit using a piece of hose and clamps? The tee I ordered will arrive tomorrow.

Mike