• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpet under hood and trunk

bweidner

Donation Time
I bought my Series 2 back in 1990 and its basically been sitting in storage for the past 20 years.
Finally getting it at it to work on and really appreciated reading through the forums and the tech tips. Actually just currently have the fuel tank pulled and going through the process of getting it cleaned and sealed.

One questions I am pretty sure I know the answer to, is that when I bought my Sunbeam it came with a lovely orange carpet lining the inside of the trunk and also a tin foil? covering lining the hood. When we started working on the car a month ago, i noticed the tin foil has peeled in a spot and underneath it is some more carpet. My questions is, Is this something that a DPO did for sound deadening or have I totally missed this as a possible factory option?

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 87

65beam

Donation Time
carpet

Both items were never installed by Rootes nor were they options. Photos are of both areas you mentioned.

Attachments

• 105_0007.jpg
    105_0007.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0553.jpg
    100_0553.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 69

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Very interesting!
My Red Series II also had a sound silencing pad under the hood that looked like the one in your picture!
Mine had OD, factory hard top, wood and chrome luggage rack, and wire wheels.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Diffierent Series

My early '65 SIV GT BW35 had a Factory installed fabric insulation pad filled with cotton and a metal frame to hold the padding in place.

Have some PIC's to show if I can find them! Man I sure will be glad when we get the site up graded. ( Mid Sept hopefully).:D

alpine_64

Donation Time
The GT alpines s3/iv had a insulation pad under the hodd ( bonnet) it was retained by a wire frame. There were 2 types as they had a cutout zone for the air filter and they had to have different version for batwing twim zenith and smaller compound solex. I had seen the bonnet insulation on a couple of late series ii road test cars where they had fitted the batwing filter as an option ( often for dusty climates)

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm also finishing up a Series II. Mine did not have anything on either the trunk lid or hood. No indication that anything was ever installed (i.e. no drill holes, glue, clips, etc.)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm also finishing up a Series II. Mine did not have anything on either the trunk lid or hood. No indication that anything was ever installed (i.e. no drill holes, glue, clips, etc.)

The vast majority of sii would not have the bonnet insulation

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
For your viewing pleasure....

Here are a few PIC's of my '65 SIV 0766 GT 39 BW35 wood&wires Hood(bonnet) padding/insulation.

Hope you can get a good look at these. They are the best I can do.

This car was given to me as a parts car when I bought my unmolested "65 SIV ST OD 70 Maroon Alpine.

The GT was so badly rusted I did not even want to drag or haul it home.

Stored for 20-25 years in a shed it now is getting the 4.0 with A4ld....

Back to the hood insulation..... I made a jig to build some wire frames to hold the insulation in place. Made one for my Commodore Blue before I converted the engine to what is now the V6.

The frame is held in place by some clips (shown in the PIC's). I have the originals ( still in good condition), but have been unable to find a good substitute...??

Notice as Michael said there is a cut-out for the carb or carbs.

I had not given much thought to the frame & insulation until this post was made.... might try to utilize what I have and fit it for the V6 ;)

-

Attachments

• 2914 (500x375).jpg
    2914 (500x375).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 3553 (540x405).jpg
    3553 (540x405).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 3554 (600x450).jpg
    3554 (600x450).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 3556 (600x450).jpg
    3556 (600x450).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 61

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Don't have recommendations for original clips.

But if blatantly unoriginal will do for your application, go to Staples and get some binder clips. Might need to use two of them 'back-to-back' ... first to grip the wire, and the other to grip the panel. Available in chrome for that extra bling factor, as well.

I use them often for wire routing, with a bit of extra padding. Fold or remove the handles for stealth applications.

bweidner

Donation Time
The GT alpines s3/iv had a insulation pad under the hodd ( bonnet) it was retained by a wire frame. There were 2 types as they had a cutout zone for the air filter and they had to have different version for batwing twim zenith and smaller compound solex. I had seen the bonnet insulation on a couple of late series ii road test cars where they had fitted the batwing filter as an option ( often for dusty climates)

Is this what you refer to as the batwing filter? I have been trying to find the hose that connects these but it seem to be having problems. I just got off the phone with Sunbeam Specialties and they said that this set up should not be on my car.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 47

alpine_64

Donation Time
That is the batwing filter setup. It was standard on the series 3GT. It was also available on cars in markets where the stone catcher air filters of the stock zenith setup would just wreck the engine. As stated some road test series II cars in further flung markets appeared to use them.

Re the hose. No repro i know of. Youll have to patch yours or hunt down a better second hand one.

As a side note what are the codes on your zenith carbs?

bweidner

Donation Time
I can only read the front carb numbers . Looks like
36 Wia 2
c1722 f
Or similar

The rear one Ill have to get cleaned up better to see if I can read them.

Does that help?

Attachments

• IMG_3761.jpg
    IMG_3761.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 15

alpine_64

Donation Time
Iirc the wia 2 zeniths were used with the batwing and the wip with the mesh filter setup. So its likely they are matched to the filter so either the setup came complete from another car or your car may have had them originally by order.

bweidner

Donation Time
Cleaned up my back carb today and got these numbers
36WIA 2
c1732 r

Now which begs the question... Why do I have two WIA Carbs?
According to the tech manual I should have two WIP carbs and a Rapier should have two WiA Carbs with the oil bath cleaner connected to the air box. So I am wondering do I have an PO's ammalgamation or was it something original for those far flung locations.

Attachments

• IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 14

alpine_64

Donation Time
Quite possible they are from a rapier.. Or.. Do you know where the car was delivered? I know some australian delivered cars that were in the northern states had the batwing setup due to the dusty conditions in period..

It may be more likely your current set came from a another car...

Whats the engine number on your block?

bweidner

Donation Time
Not really sure where it was delivered to. I actually just ordered a Heritage Certificate hoping it would show something. I am assuming it was shipped to either the US or Canada as it is labeled an LRX.

I believe it has a factory rebuilt engine as i don't have an engine number plate just the number 1980898 30-3-65 stamped on the engine

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Is this what you refer to as the batwing filter? I have been trying to find the hose that connects these but it seem to be having problems. I just got off the phone with Sunbeam Specialties and they said that this set up should not be on my car.

Correct, your early series car would not have had this set up. But what the heck.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rarest of Options

I bought my Series 2 back in 1990 and its basically been sitting in storage for the past 20 years.
Finally getting it at it to work on and really appreciated reading through the forums and the tech tips. Actually just currently have the fuel tank pulled and going through the process of getting it cleaned and sealed.

One questions I am pretty sure I know the answer to, is that when I bought my Sunbeam it came with a lovely orange carpet lining the inside of the trunk and also a tin foil? covering lining the hood. When we started working on the car a month ago, i noticed the tin foil has peeled in a spot and underneath it is some more carpet. My questions is, Is this something that a DPO did for sound deadening or have I totally missed this as a possible factory option?

You are one lucky dude. The rarest of options in your lap. Rootes special "Austin Powers" Carpet kit.

"Really, it's not mine baby".

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 11