• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carpet Kits

P

Pembertoltd

As you know by now I have a 67 with a V-6 and an A4LD auto tranny. I did not have to do much to the bellhousing area to make it fit other than beat it out a little, etc. The question that I have is, will an aftermarket carpet kit have enough material left over in the right areas to cover the floor of the car and does it go up far enough on the firewall. I have seen them for sale on Ebay and other places, but have not had any esperience with them. Are they worth the money or not. I got a quote from an upholsterer for 450 to 900 depending on the type of carpet. That is with the thick padding type of heat shield. That sounds high to me and I live in So Cal. Any ideas

beamS3

Donation Time
I purchased one of these kits. I have not installed it as I believe the quality is below that which I desire. Rather than being bound the edges are wrapped with vinyl and sewn and the pile is thinly set over a base that unravels.

Fit on any kit, that I have seen, is not perfect and needs trimming on your installation.

If you have beaten out the bellhousing area - then a TIGER carpet gives you greater spread across this area - at the cost of passenger side carpet width.

For me, my next step will be to either splurge for the wilton (about $250 for 15 yards) fit it myself and have it bound or more realistic around here the auto flea market dealers have some nice black auto grade plush carpet at $15 per roll (15 ft x 54")

Bob

chris

Donation Time
There should be plenty. I have the same set up, 67 with a V6 and A4LD. I used the same carpet that came out before I stated the tunnel modification.

P

Pembertoltd

Carpet

Hey Beam S3 thks alot for the info along with the others that responded. I see that you are thinkinking about doing it yourself. How do you shape the carpet to fit the hump and the deformities. Do you have to steam it or make cuts and then sew it back together. Exactly how will you go about making a regular piece of flat carpeting fit all the angles, tunnel etc. Also what auto flea markets are you talking about so that I could line one up. It is much better than the 150 a yard that I was quoted

beamS3

Donation Time
1. shaping to deformities. Side rails can either be glued straight to metal or more authentic to a stiff card or mill board to retain a better shape. Most other formed areas can be directly glued. except: The Floor to ledge carpet should have a vinyl strip fasted to the top edge so as to wrap it over the ledge, then affix with adhesive and: - the fitting over the transmission shifter to ashtray hump. Way 1 the best fit I have seen was carpet glued over a mould of this area - the weave and small cut out pieces made for a virtually seamless fit. Way 2 most common is a "T" shaped cut and sea over this area with steam to help fit - their are actually carpets available with a high level of heat mouldability? available.

2. I purchased 7 linear yards to do my son's 74 Alfa Spider Veloce trunk it was $10 cdn total at the Bronte Park British Car meet September 2007 just outside Toronto - about 1600 cars and 50 vendors. i have also looked at it at other shows and flea markets it appears similar to carpeting used in current cars such as my Pontiac.

P

Pembertoltd

Carpeting

Thanks for the info on how to do the carpeting.