• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carnival Red PPG Code

britbits

Donation Time
Does anyone know what the ppg paint code is for the Carnival Red?
Id like to get a batched mixed up for a re spray
Thanks!

agmason54

Donation Time
Carnival Red

This code is from a custom Sherman Williams spray bomb can.They used a devise to take a picture of my cars color and made a spray can for about $15 for 1/2 pint.It took two to do the hardtop.I thought the color match was right on...

U7 -58389 00(Q)

Ultra 7000
RO#

Agm

Attachments

• 100_1887 (Large).jpg
    100_1887 (Large).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 44

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I didn't know S/W would make a spray can of custom paint color and for $15? Who carries S/W automotive paints here in Ohio and what kind of paint was it? Lacquer, enamel?
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'd love to be able to touch up some scratches and dings ETC.

I painted mine about 15 years ago with Dupont acrylic enamel in arctic white.
Whats the probability I could shoot some and color sand for a reasonable match?

jimandi

Donation Time
carnival red

Tower Paints is located in the midwest and has the formulas for all car colors.
they will mix one ounce for touch up or a 12 ounce spray can. The spray can I think cost about 20 bucks. My car is carnival red and it matched the color under the hood latch, but my car has oxidized a lot and is now more of an orange than red. If you need to match the color your car is now, you need to take it to a paint store, but if you want original try them.
Jim

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
In Cleveland, Fastener Supply, on Memphis Ave has a Sherwin Williams mixing and canning system that provides two aerosol spray cans of custom mixed paint for about $35. You tell them the original color # or name and they will mix it. They have dozens of color books for reference. I don't know if they can match from a sample.

The guy says it is SW's Dimension system. I could not find any info on SW's site that indicates dealers. But I'd guess you could call around.

When I painted my Alpine 22 years ago I did not know much about Sunbeam colors so I purchased Dupont lacquer and asked for Porsche Guard Red, a color my brother used on hs Spitfire. Later when I brought my Alpine to a British car show and parked next to a Cardinal Red Alpine we could not see any difference between the car colors. Years later when I needed some touch up paint I bought 2 spray cans of Porsche Guard Red from Fastener Supply. The guy said it was the same as Indian Red. The new paint seems a bit more red, less orange, than the paint on the car. Not surprised after 20+ years.

Tom

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The red (Torch Red?) that GM uses on the '90s cars looks pretty close too.
I never did any close matching to #39.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mazda Sunrise Red - color code RH - from the late 70's is a great match. I used that when I first painted my car in 1978 and I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell it from Carnival Red. However, I again specified RH when I repainted the car in the late 80's, but this time it was too red (less orange). I never found out whether they mixed it wrong or Mazda changed the code, which is why I specified "late 70's" above.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
See the photo from Finaddict on the home page. He used PPG Porsche Guards Red , just like I did.

Tom

Finaddict

Donation Time
PPG Porsche Guards Red number

Long-time Tiger restorer Scott Woerth recommended Porsche Guards Red as a replacement for Carnival Red to me several years ago. I have painted a S II and now the S III with it, and think it's a close match to carnival red. The PPG stock number on my invoice is 72060. Make sure it matches up to the Porsche 356 color from the '60s. The pictures in the S III gallery don't do the color justice because they were taken under flourescent light.

There is a premium for red paint. I paid $436 for a gallon of DCC Concept single stage acrylic urethane. The hardener was another $100. Don Sessler (1964 SCCA F Production Champion in an Alpine), who worked for PPG at the time of SUNI II, told me it's because the pigments come from vermillion colored metamorphic rock, which is very hard and takes more time to grind to a fine powder. This paint is a dream to shoot, has held up well, and is easy to spot-repair. Use 3 coats if you are going to color sand and buff it (highly recommended). Spend 95% of your time prepping the car before shooting, and you won't be sorry.

Rex Funk

PINECAT

Donation Time
Hi Fellas,

I got it!

Ok, the actual color (Carnival Red code 39) can be mixed by TCP Global in their "Restoration Shop" paint that he (Sonny) says is better than Nason, which is Dupont's lower cost enamel/urethane. The code for it is 71144D, in this type of paint. According to Sonny, this is the ACTUAL color and is not something close, or something that would be matched by another jobber to 'look' like carnival red. Phone number for restoration shop is 858-909-2110. This is TCP Global and they are in Sandy Eggo. (San Diego). He says to call ahead a couple of days before you need it, as it will need to be mixed and is not on the shelf! Gallon price he gave me was 279.96, which should be enough for 2 cars so buy a gallon and give me the other two quarts when you're done! :)

Ok, I've done my good deed for the day. Now I'm gonna go play with metal. You kids have fun.