• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Carbs leaking

john p

Donation Time
I started my series 1 today for the first time since it's back together. Carbs are both leaking from the brass nut under the front side. These are zeniths. Is the an o ring that seals these from leaking?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I started my series 1 today for the first time since it's back together. Carbs are both leaking from the brass nut under the front side. These are zeniths. Is the an o ring that seals these from leaking?

If these are the downdraught zeniths, they seal with a round compression seal.
Much like a copper water pipe compression fitting.

john p

Donation Time
These are the zenith down drafts. Mine must be missing the compression fits. Is there a source for them without buying an entire rebuild kit?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Perhaps someone has jerry-rigged the inlets to fit some other scheme but the correct setup will be a single copper pipe that connects to both carbs with a "Tee" between the two lines.

There will be a fitting captive (captive becuase the compression ferrel wont let the fitting slide off) on each inlet to each carb.
The fitting screws into the carb inlet and the compression ferrel is compressed into the copper tube and also seals on the inside of the carb inlet from force from the outer fitting.

Usually, the ferrel will compress into the copper tube enough that you cannot get it off and so you should replace the copper tube as well.

Without the ferrels, sealing that setup is not possible without some sort of modification.

If this doesnt sound like what you have, your setup may have been modified since if you over tighten the fitting in the carb inlet, you often damage the carbs casting.

Oh and the fittings and compression ferrel are NOT included in any rebuild kit. Plumbing supply is your best bet at least on the ferrels and tubing if the carb and outer fitting are not buggered.

john p

Donation Time
I think I'm talking about something different. There are brass nuts under the float bowels. They are leaking. I pulled one out. It's threaded and has an o ring in the middle. Both leak badly

john p

Donation Time
I think I'm talking about something different. There are brass nuts under the float bowels. They are leaking. I pulled one out. It's threaded and has an o ring in the middle. Both leak badly

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I bought a box of assorted O rings from Princess Auto, like Harbour F down in the USA. It had O rings that fit .

I wouldn't use an HF o-ring on anything that if it leaks will start a fire.

Once you find out what o-ring fits it, replace it with a reputable mfgr of o-ring of the appropriate materials.

If there is one thing the Chinese don't know how to make (well) its rubber.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I wouldn't use an HF o-ring on anything that if it leaks will start a fire.

Once you find out what o-ring fits it, replace it with a reputable mfgr of o-ring of the appropriate materials.

If there is one thing the Chinese don't know how to make (well) its rubber.

Amen to that, definitely needs a fuel resistant O ring