• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Car arrives today! Frankenpine

Jonathan

Donation Time
So, looks like I have found my car. Its an interesting one and a crazy hybrid of different sources from what I can tell, but comes with a fun history and from a nice couple.

The car was owned by one couple since new (and in fact was where they had their first date.) Its a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine Series II. That's the start.

They sold it a few weeks ago via Craigslist. I thought I was buying it, but another Sunbeam fan swooped in and bought it via Paypal sight unseen. A shame for me, but no worries, at least another enthusiast got it.

However, it turns out his wife preferred her other car, and so he put it back up. Eventually we came up with a deal that got him a bit of a profit and still gave me a deal, which I appreciate. Apparently he's part of the local Tiger community, and seems like a nice fellow.

Now here is where it gets interesting.

The original owner was an auto mechanic instructor for years and applied that to the car. He also owned a 73 RX-3 from new and at some point (I'm guessing late 70s or early 80s) transplanted the engine, diff, transmission (automatic), radiator, gauges, rear end etc from the RX-3 into the Sunbeam.

The dual braking system is from a vintage Toyota, while the brakes themselves are Mazda. The fuel tank is from a 1960 Falcon.

I'm actually not even sure what is really left to work on other than the body that is stock Alpine at this point. Still it should be a great adventure. Based on the year of the engine, it should be a 12a rotary, which can take a lot of porting if I ever get around to it. Both the original owner and the guy who bought it say the car is nearly without rust being a Cali original.

So here's for the start of an adventure. I'll get pictures up as soon as I get it. The gentleman I'm getting it from flushed the fuel and tried the ignition as a test and said the engine caught which is sort of surprising. Still, we're going to tackle the brakes first before doing anything else, then start looking at the other hoses and seals and parts of the car.

Wish me luck. I haven't poked under the hood of a car since I was 14. A lot of learning ahead for me. :)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jonathan,
Sounds like you got what you wanted after all! Congrats... You might want to invite the original owner/modifier over for dinner and a walk-through, and have someone videotape the whole thing. That way, you can pay complete attention, while the videotap keeps perfect notes. Good luck!

Ken

Jonathan

Donation Time
Well the gentleman I bought it from drove the Alpine up today. It is nice to start meeting people in the community face to face. Car's body is in quite nice shape. There are a couple places where there are bits of rust and the chrome on the bumpers and such would need redoing, but its quite nice. There are some tiny bubbling sections on the paint, but look more like a mediocre paintjob than hint of rust.

Interesting element is that the original owner put the fuel feed in the trunk when he converted to a Falcon fuel tank, so smoothed over the side. That can be cleaned up, but not any rush. Interior is nothing like a stock Alpine as you'll see in the pics, and the engine bay the same. That said, the engine fits nice and tidy. From the first look at least its a pretty job. I'm going to try to get under the car tomorrow and see what there is to see.

Car has a lot of little goodies. Has an original hardtop as well as an aftermarket one. The aftermarket one is interesting. Has a scoop facing backward which was covered by a vinyl cover on the exterior and the headcover on the interior. I presume if uncovered its for airflow for a rally car? Also comes with a luggage rack and a number of spares. The spares will be handy, since given the # of donor vehicles I'd probably end up getting replacements for the wrong donor knowing me. In fact the best way to summarize this car is mechanically an rx-3 and chassis/body of an Alpine.

Anyway, I guess I'm now officially part o' the group. Wish me luck.

And here are those pics.

AlpOnTrailer1.jpg

AlpInt2.jpg

AlpEng2.jpg

AlpLabel.jpg

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Noticed a few other things. The brake and gas pedals look to be early '60 Thunderbird and the hubcaps are Pinto. :p

Jonathan

Donation Time
Btw, what color code is that? 19? I9? Is there a chart so I can figure what the original color was? (Not that its critical, the car is and will always be far from stock, but curious.) Btw, found the original owners manual in a manila folder in the trunk. Sort of cute, though the front cover has fallen off.

EDIT: NM. Found it right on the main technical page :p

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Another Moonstone WOW

;)
That was my Alpines original color, but mine similar to yours was restored and we kept the original motor but it is GM Sapphire Blue, went with the original black vinyl interior. I don't think I have seen a Moonstone color code 19, do we even have one in this club? Seen the paint chip color that is suppose to be the real color, mine was so faded it was white, hint of some color on the door frame. Mine is so pieced together, not as much as your Frankenpine but yes a hand made walnut dash, after market guages etc etc. I envy those with a concours all original, maybe one day I might get one, then maybe not! LOL

Donna
:D

chris

Donation Time
I don't know what your restoration plans are, but if you're on the road by May there is a great British car show in Woodland, put on by the United British Car Club of Sacramento. They normally get five or six Sunbeams there. Your Mazda conversion would go over well.

Jonathan

Donation Time
I don't know what your restoration plans are, but if you're on the road by May there is a great British car show in Woodland, put on by the United British Car Club of Sacramento. They normally get five or six Sunbeams there. Your Mazda conversion would go over well.

Cross fingers it'll be on the road much sooner than that. It won't be 'restored' by that point, but should be drive-able.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to be sure, and for my own peace of mind, you mentioned it was the AFTERMARKET hardtop that had the rear facing vent, not the stock one, correct? The stock one is the one pictured on the car on the trailer in one of your earlier posts.

(I'll explain why this is important later.....) :)

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
1960 Sunbeam Alpine

Jonathan:

You mentioned that the car is a 1960 Series II but the Chassis ID number on the car indicates that it is a Series I. Does anyone else have a comment on this?

Rick Guest

Jonathan

Donation Time
Just to be sure, and for my own peace of mind, you mentioned it was the AFTERMARKET hardtop that had the rear facing vent, not the stock one, correct? The stock one is the one pictured on the car on the trailer in one of your earlier posts.

(I'll explain why this is important later.....) :)

Yah. The one in the pic is what I believe is the stock one.

Jonathan

Donation Time
Been working a bit on the car. Apparently I'll need to get a friend down who is familiar with electrical work. Its set up negative ground, but as soon as I touch the connector to the negative post of the battery I get a solid spark (when positive is already attached.) Ah well. I'm being a bit more cautious being new to things when it comes to the electrical problems, but it gives me a chance to learn sooner rather than later which is nice. If folk have thoughts about what to look at while waiting for friends, feel free to let me know.

On other front, I noticed a lot of the rubber seals and trim for the windows and windshield and such are cracking with age. Is there a preferred source for such? Also, the windshield has a small star from some pebble or other. My inclination is to leave that for now but if I do end up replacing all the seals might be a reasonable time to also replace the glass. Any opinions?

Lastly, the mesh/grill in the front of the car is just a hand cut piece, not stock. Is this hard to find?

(I probably won't tackle any of this till I have the car running, but while I'm on hold pending getting the electrical sorted I'm trying to put together the list of what to get done and in what order.)

chris

Donation Time
A good place close to you for parts and seals would be Sunbeam Specialties in Los Gatos. Whatever you order from them should be there the next day.

As for the electrical, most Alpines have issues in at area. Many people just scrap the system and start over. Painless and Easy kits work well. The original Alpine system only has two fuses and most have been messed with multiple times.

Jonathan

Donation Time
A good place close to you for parts and seals would be Sunbeam Specialties in Los Gatos. Whatever you order from them should be there the next day.

As for the electrical, most Alpines have issues in at area. Many people just scrap the system and start over. Painless and Easy kits work well. The original Alpine system only has two fuses and most have been messed with multiple times.

Problem is, its not a Sunbeam electrical. Under the hood the car is essentially an rx-3. Rx-3 engine/trans/etc and he built a custom harness to wire it up to the lights, fuel pump, etc. I have the diagram, and its a lot more than 2 fuses. That said, it is still worth going through the full electricals, just its a harder thing to teach yourself as you go. Just ordered a book on it however.

Thanks for the reference to Sunbeam Specialties. I'll give them a ring.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There might be somethings turned on. Headlights, for instance, pull several amps. I'd pull all the fuses and connect the battery. There should be minimal sparking. Then I'd start reinstalling fuses one at a time, checking out accessories as fuses are installed until all are up and running.

It is a variation on the idea of eating a elephant one forkful at a time.

Bill

Jonathan

Donation Time
Woo hoo.

Got the battery hooked up now and electricals seem to work. Haven't done a full test as it got dark on us.

Solution was simple but not wasn't something I immediately considered. Original owner swapped cables. Red was ground, and black was positive. Reversed the first battery, but ground connector wouldn't reach the post, so had to get a different battery. Dropped it in, hooked things up, no sparks, and hazards started flashing and a victory was won.

One step closer

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm being a bit more cautious being new to things when it comes to the electrical problems, but it gives me a chance to learn sooner rather than later which is nice.

"Red was ground, and black was positive."

Did you trace the RED to ground? :rolleyes: