• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Can't be a series 1

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
1961 Sunbeam Alpine | eBay

(Thought it said series 1, my mistake, can't edit title)Interesting photos, gas cap & Interior looks like a series 3 gt, dash from a '63 on. No photos of engine bay or inside trunk.

Last edited:

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Strange car, The window guides are series 2. The hardtop is series 1 or 2. Gas tank cap is series 3, maybe a later fender fitted? Interior is GT no softop which was not available until series 3. Would be interesting to see some photos of the engine bay and trunk areas. Bumperettes are the later type, not correct for early series. I think this is a modified series 2. $40K is very expensive.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I suspect a series 3gt with a pair of series II doors and screen.

The rear boot would confirm it.. But given the GT rear seat set up and rear guard... Safe bet

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Are SI/II windshield and doors inter-changable onto a S3+? And would then a SI/II hardtop fit on a S3 with those mods?

Personally, I like SI/II hardtops better than S3 hardtops - in pictures. But in person, I tend to like the S3 better. But I definitely like the lightness of the SI/II hardtop.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
If he wanted it to look like a Series 1 or 2, why did he use the later bumper guards? I do like the look of the Pinto black stripe slotted wheels though.

alpine_64

Donation Time
If he wanted it to look like a Series 1 or 2, why did he use the later bumper guards? I do like the look of the Pinto black stripe slotted wheels though.
Not sure they wanted it to look like a i/ii .. The GT tops rust badly and are heavy... The early tops are lighter.. Dont rust and easily available... Some alsp feel they look better.

As for later over riders... I prefer them to the heavy ornate si/ii units.. Thats just me

alpine_64

Donation Time
Same here. The old style overrides look to be a holdover from the 40's or maybe 50's.
More 50s inspired than 40s. Given the clean lines of the design for the period i suspect they may not have been a howes design.. And the mockups had no over riders.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would still lean toward the 40s. On US cars at least bumper overrides of the 50s were entering the jet age and were not as curvaceous, but more projectile.