• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Can a windshield be cut down?

Obas123

Donation Time
Trying to get that racer look and not sure if I can have the windshield cut down - Maybe someone knows where I can purchase a plexiglass windscreen - I think there are height rules in California though to make the car streetable- but any info is welcome! Thanks!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Trying to get that racer look and not sure if I can have the windshield cut down - Maybe someone knows where I can purchase a plexiglass windscreen - I think there are height rules in California though to make the car streetable- but any info is welcome! Thanks!

It is possible to cut windshields down to a different size.Some have cut I believe it was a Nova windshiled down to fit the alpine tiger rear window in the hard top.On my Lister project the windshieled was cut The rear window came from a VW and cut and inverted to fit.
A good plexiglass shop I'm sure can make you a windshield if you so desire.Probably won't be cheap

gordonra

Donation Time
About three years ago, I did some work with a company that said they were at one time producing acrylic racing windscreens for Rick at Sunbeam Specialities.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the guy or the company, but they were located somewhere between LA and the Bay area. They were making parts for small helicopters, including the composite body and the acrylic windows.

The guy told me that he could get me a racing windscreen for my Alpine, but I refused at the time.

This may help....

miket

Donation Time
plexiglass bends very easily with heat, and cuts easily. I would get a book on the subject, and I'll bet you can easily fabricate one yourself.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dales Restos sells full width perspex racing screens but they may not be ideal for road use.

There is a black Tiger thats a hollywood sports cars tribute thats road gogina nd has a wrap around 1/4 high screen.. the other oprion would be get a SI windsheld frame and guides and use those as the frame for a perspex screen after you cut to appropriate height. Will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Pumpkin

Donation Time

OBAS... you mentioned " I think there are height rules in Cal." I would first check. Here in Oregon you are required to have" windshield wipers", but if you have a windshield it must not have crack, holes or other impedances to the drivers sight. in other words, a windshield is NOT required, but wipers are?
Make sense?
Chuck

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Is it even legal to run a plexiglass windshield on a street driven car? Lexan is a suitable material for side glass and rear replacements on chopped hot rods and customs. And although race cars use Lexan windshields, I always thought that only safety glass was legal for a front windshield. Jeff

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
OBAS... you mentioned " I think there are height rules in Cal." I would first check. Here in Oregon you are required to have" windshield wipers", but if you have a windshield it must not have crack, holes or other impedances to the drivers sight. in other words, a windshield is NOT required, but wipers are?
Make sense?
Chuck

Reminds me when we were young hot rodders.One fellow had chopped his 51 ford.We went for a ride without a windshield.was stopped by a mountie.Said what the hell this car has no wippers.The owner said it sure does and turned them on with them flopping away in the air.The poor mountie was dumfounded and said get the hell away from here.

Obas123

Donation Time
call to California DMV gets no answer

Thanks for all the replies- I called California DMV to find out if I need a glass windshield or or plexiglass would work, and any height requirement, and of course, in typical fashion, nobody had an answer- so I am waiting for a call back and post it- I don't think you need wipers though!! windshield, blinkers, rear view mirror and that may be it... :confused:

serIIalpine

Donation Time
You have to have the wipers in CA and they have to work. In your case they would be cut down. I would imagine that a Lexan screen wouldn't be an issue and in CA if you were pulled over worst case scenario you would get a fix a ticket.

I'd like to emphasize that you DO NOT want Lucite or Plexiglass! You want Lexan. There is a reason it's 5 times the price. It keeps rocks from entering the front of your skull and exiting the back.

The other types shatter and enter the front of your skull right after the rock does. Just a thought.

Good luck.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Often wondered this. I see quite a few lotus 7's running the mountain roads and they have mini screens. Also know a guy with a cobra that has a sliver of windscreen up front. No issues from what he says.
I don't think the wiper thing would be and issue. Bikes don't have wipres and I ride in the rain all the time.