• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Camera choices

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
OK, having fun now. :D

Just picked up my new Nikon D40X and can not wait for the sun to come up. I know there are better cameras out there but I think for the money this one is the tops. Compared to my old Nikon E990 at 3.2 MP and having an internal lens I think the fun will be put back in photography.

What is every one using out there? I know I have seen some great photos on this site.

Paul

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I bought a Canon A540 with 6mp last year to document my restoration. Came with a free printer that also printed digital pictures. Way too many features to learn like movies w/sound and editing. It replaced a 35mm SLR with three lenses stuffed in a shoulder bag. New technology is so much lighter!!! Jeff

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Digital Camera

For quick and dirty I still use my Minolta Dimage. Rather than lug my full digital system, I took it to Germany last year and it did a great job.

For my serious other hobby (Photographing Wild Horses/Mustangs) I rely on my Minolta 7d and my 7xi film as a backup. They interchange lenses.

Minolta sold out to Sony last year. I have a habit of owning orphans....

tfctpa

Donation Time
OK, having fun now. :D

Just picked up my new Nikon D40X and can not wait for the sun to come up. I know there are better cameras out there but I think for the money this one is the tops. Compared to my old Nikon E990 at 3.2 MP and having an internal lens I think the fun will be put back in photography.

What is every one using out there? I know I have seen some great photos on this site.

Paul

Paul, I use a Nikon D80, and am very pleased with the camera, plus Nikkor glass, the best in the industry. The Silent-Wave (AF-S) lenses are the cats meow, offering focusing as fast as any in the industry. My favorite lens is the Nikon - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom, I use it on 80% of all my shots, leaving my three other in the bag most of the time. The VR lenses are spectactular, tuning the vibration reduction specifically to each lens. It does cost a little more this way, but is well worth it. The camera does have a slight issue with over-exposing about one stop, however this can be corrected in all modes other than full auto. Nikon has a great webiste that will "tutor" you on the camera, teaching you all the things that the instruction book just cannot relay in any of the five languages. http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d40x/index.shtml
I haven't gone through the D40x section, but the D80 section was great.

Enjoy the camera, remember take lot'sa shots, deleting is cheap!
BTW, I have no affiliation with Nikon, I've just been a photographer for 30+ years.