• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cam Bearings

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am re-doing my 1725 engine. Chevy Rods, stroked crank, Custom pistons, KB cam. I ordered and received new cam bearings from SS. I notice they are split - a gap cut through at one point. I also notice the originals are similarly split, but the originals have "interlocking" ends much like pieces of a jig saw puzzle, which, apparently after installation form a pretty tight complete ring. In fact I thought the original cam bearings WERE a solid ring until I looked closely and saw that it is only the interlocking ends that make it so. Any experts out there care to comment on whether the new style have any shortcomings compared to the originals?

Thanks,

Tom

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I bought some of the "split" bearings and ruined one using a universal bearing installer.

I ended up making a coller to hold the bearing flat and keep the halves together (so it wont seperate during assembly).

I ended up making it work, but I decided to never use those bearings again, and ended up buying all the old type of bearings that showed up on ebay over the next year or so to insure I would have a lifetime supply of the old interlocked cam bearings.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to be sure we understand each other, I assume you and I are talking about the same kind a bearings. They are not actually split in half like a main bearing, but rather have one cut that makes them a full "ring" but with a gap. And I assume when you speak of trying to keep the "halves" together you really mean trying to keep the two unconnected ends aligned. Right?

And how can you tell from an e-bay listing what type? Do you end up asking? or do they usually specify or show the bearings clearly enough to see the style?

Thanks,

Tom

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just to be sure we understand each other, I assume you and I are talking about the same kind a bearings. They are not actually split in half like a main bearing, but rather have one cut that makes them a full "ring" but with a gap. And I assume when you speak of trying to keep the "halves" together you really mean trying to keep the two unconnected ends aligned. Right?
Tom

Yeah, were on the same page.

And how can you tell from an e-bay listing what type? Do you end up asking? or do they usually specify or show the bearings clearly enough to see the style?
Tom

I can tell visually, and if no picture is supplied, the mfgr/# is vanderville 928 and comes in the older blue box.

These are precision machined after the ends are joined with the "jigsaw" joint.
Must have cost a lot to mfgr and worth it if you can find them.

The Chrysler/talbot/repco bearings are the unjoined type and if you make the tool I mentioned, will probably work out OK if your machinist (or you) are careful and experienced.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just bumping this up in hopes I get a few more opinions on whether there is any benefit in finding and using the old style cam bearings with the interlocking ends. Rootes Racer thinks so, but I assume most other rebuilds have used the plain open end bearings. Any opinions or experience?

Thanks,

Tom