• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake rotor minimum thickness.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I installed a new set of standard brake rotors on the Tiger and could not find a minimum thickness allowable in the workshop manual. The new rotor measured at 12.7mm (.5") and found that the old rotors measured in at approximately 10.6mm (.42"), which would have needed machining down further. I remember reading somewhere that the minimum thickness should be 11mm (.43"). Could someone please confirm this.

Thank you, Robin.

artic cat

Donation Time
in the tiger workshop manual it talks about run out (warping) being the deciding factor for replacement, not thickness. page 7 section K (brakes) under the disk heading. based on that I would have the old ones turned and rely on my my machinist to say if the surface plates are to thin.

64beam

Donation Time
in the tiger workshop manual it talks about run out (warping) being the deciding factor for replacement, not thickness. page 7 section K (brakes) under the disk heading. based on that I would have the old ones turned and rely on my my machinist to say if the surface plates are to thin.

I did read that section and I thought run-out is referring more to the bearings more than a warped disc (a little of both I guess)? I have not thrown out my old discs so I have a back up set if required. With the extra weight of the Tiger up front, thin discs would not last long at all.

Regards, Robin.