• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Booster

burgy711

Donation Time
Looks like I'm in need of a Brake Booster Servo......... suggestions from the group?? I know these are hard to find and pricey for a rebuild.

Thanks
Steve

Wombat

Donation Time
Steve,

I have never needed to pull one of these apart (yet - it will come). Rebuild kits are about $80 from the usual suppliers, but then there's the labor cost on top, plus fixing whatever else the kit doesn't include (bores may need sleeving, inside of the vacuum chamber might be corroded ....).

I think there are a couple of boosters on ebay at present, but they look pretty sorry. they almost certainly would need rebuilding as well.

The Lockheed replacement servo is available, but expensive.

Another option is to do without. The Series I and II did not have them. I have have driven Hillmans from the 60's and 70's with front discs and no booster and the pedal effort was OK, even with the heavier car. One Hillman I had was fited with the booster, it failed and I bypasses it and drove the car like that for a couple of years.

Just some thoughts.

Jim E

Donation Time
I have a Lockheed in the pile O bits bought it as good but never used it, can dig it out and post a picture if you are interested.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Steve,
Another option is to do without. The Series I and II did not have them. I have have driven Hillmans from the 60's and 70's with front discs and no booster and the pedal effort was OK, even with the heavier car. One Hillman I had was fited with the booster, it failed and I bypasses it and drove the car like that for a couple of years.

My SIII had the booster removed by the DPO - in fact I had the car for several years before I found out it was supposed to have a booster :) (this was not uncommon on my 'voyage of discovery' with B9205494).

The pedal is heavier than modern cars, but I got used to it. My Vogue, which is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the Alpine, also does not have a booster and it's the same, just give it a firm shove. I acquired an aftermarket (PBR 40 for Aussies) booster which fits neatly into the Alpine but haven't got around to overhauling/installing it yet.

Cheers, Vic

Nickodell

Donation Time
The advert does list the Alpine as an application, and at 140 pounds Sterling ($240 US) that's a great price. I might just buy one and put it aside as insurance. The downside is that shipping to the UK is the only destination offered, but I can use my sister in Sussex as an intermediary.

If anyone wants one of these I'm sure she will accommodate me by on-shipping it to you at cost. Let me know.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
I have a used one I pulled out of a Series 3 parts car will need rebuild, blasting and painting.

Jack

Wombat

Donation Time
This is the booster used on the Arrow range of cars. The Alpine listed would be the fastback variety. It will still work on the Series Alpines, but would need a bracket fabricated.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My SIII had the booster removed by the DPO - in fact I had the car for several years before I found out it was supposed to have a booster :) (this was not uncommon on my 'voyage of discovery' with B9205494).

The pedal is heavier than modern cars, but I got used to it. My Vogue, which is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the Alpine, also does not have a booster and it's the same, just give it a firm shove. I acquired an aftermarket (PBR 40 for Aussies) booster which fits neatly into the Alpine but haven't got around to overhauling/installing it yet.

Cheers, Vic

You can get PBR boosters to fit alpines and tigers brand new here is AU. Think they are running high $AU300's. I know a few guys locally that have installed them,. beats trying to fix old boosters and they seem to be better made.