• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Booster SV

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

On my series 3, I'm restoring, I got a .750 Wilwood girling style master cylinder and a VB 5" lockheed booster kit. Will this combination work well.
Ive rebuilt the front and rear brake system with original parts.

There is no way to be sure without knowing the specific booster hydraulic ratio's, but I suspect that pedal effort with the combination of a 0.750" master cylinder and a 5" Lockheed booster will be about 20% higher than with the combination of a 0.875" master cylinder and a 7" Girling booster.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can someone tell me the bore size on the original Alpine servos?

Which bore and which servo? There were multiple versions of "the original Alpine servos" and all vacuum assisted remote brake boosters have multiple "bores" and / or bore sizes.

In any case, the bore sizes of vacuum assisted remote brake boosters are not important; what is important is the hydraulic pressure ratio (aka, boost ratio). The information I have seen for suitable Girling and Lockheed "boosters" lists various ratios ranging from about 1.6:1 to 2.4:1.

Last edited:

beamertwo

Donation Time
Ok, what I really want to know is if the servo is not of an appropriate type, will it make the pedal travel longer?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ok, what I really want to know is if the servo is not of an appropriate type, will it make the pedal travel longer?

"... not of an appropriate type ..." covers way too much ground and I am not going down that rabbit hole.

Typical 5" or 7" Girling or Lockheed vacuum powered brake boosters (aka, servos) intended for lightweight vehicles such as British sports cars do not change the pedal travel, they change (reduce) the pedal effort.

Last edited: