• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brackets for Driving Lights

Tiger

Donation Time
How were driving lights mounted to the front of the car? Were there specific brackets that mounted to the bolts that support the bumper, did they drill holes into the bumper (yikes), or other? Pictures showing details would be highly appreciated! Thanks.

beamS3

Donation Time
Original fitting for Driving/Fog lamps and badge bar was to an auxiliary steel bar which fastened behind the front bumper between the bumper mounts. The ends of this bar were offset about 1 inch so the bar was not visible behind the bumper.

beamS3

Tiger

Donation Time
Pictures?

That's interesting. I have never seen this. Is there a picture of this anywhere? It would also be nice to see what this bar looks uninstalled, that way I would have an idea how to make one since I doubt there ate any for sale. Do these ever come up for sale? Thanks!

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a couple of the bars. I am in Memphis and will be back home in a couple of days. I can photograph one and post it next week

agmason

Donation Time
I believe that Rootes also made a bracket specific to mount fog/driving lights. I have one still in a Rootes box. It has a offset to hold the lights above the bumper. Made of very heavy steel with chrome plating. Also, I have a set made by some UK company back in the 60's for mounting fog lights

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Original fitting for Driving/Fog lamps and badge bar was to an auxiliary steel bar which fastened behind the front bumper between the bumper mounts. The ends of this bar were offset about 1 inch so the bar was not visible behind the bumper.

beamS3

I've seen chromed brackets that mount to the chassis via the bumper bolts.

They are made to extend up and around the bumper and are sided.

Today they are scarce. I have one but not the other.

i asked a machine shop for an estimate to fabricate the missing side but the cost was very high.

I have to wonder that they were dealer supplied and accordingly were original and correct.

They position a pair of Rootes lights in exactly the correct location.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I made these years ago. Very easy to build, and no mods to the car.
IMG0039-M.jpg

IMG0037-M.jpg

358040199_hZFPm-M.jpg

Tiger

Donation Time
Nice. Those look well made. Here's a dumb question for you: I also have a British plate In the front bu need the local US plate too. How did you hang you US plate in front of the British one?

65beam

Donation Time
brackets

i uploaded some photos of lamp brackets on my photobucket. http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/ there are photos of original rootes brackets, the ones for my badge bar bracket and the lucas brackets on the lamps that go on my series 4. the problem we're finding at this time is that the brackets for the original bar limit me to the size of lamps used. i could use my rootes lamps without interference with the hood when open but the larger lucas and lumax i have can only be used with the lucas brackets that use a spacer and bolt into the frame rail. ihave a local shop making four sets of the brackets that are in the photo of my lucas lamps.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rootes offered several different options for the driving/fog lamps. The early cars used lumax branded lamps and were mounted via either the badge bar setup or via seperate brackets that mount between the bumber mounting point on the front leg and used an extended bolt and spacer to move the bumper slightly forward for clearence. The early solo brackets came in a lower style and a taller offset style.

Suring S3 the cars also switched to a lumax lamp with ROOTES branding, these again had the badge bar mounted brackets or the stand alones. During SIV/Tiger production another style apperaed, these are the rootes/lumax lamps but the mounting post sits at an angle adn allows a more simple mounting bracket similar to the way toyanvils lamps work.. these are quite rare.. it took me about 8 years before getting a set (first lamp/bracket in 2004 the next one january this year!)

As Bob mentioned dealers often installed other options, lucas lamps were popular in period as were wipac and raydot.. but the factory rootes options were the Lumax lamps and later rootes branded ones.. they can be seen in the artciles section of the main page.