• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bonnet flash

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

Can anyone give me definitive position of the bonnet flash?

Many thanks

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Cheeky!

I'll put you down as a "don't do it" :D

I have seen them on red Alps and didn't like, but it looks good on Bill's and mine will be Lake Blue so i think it will look dandy.

I'd ask Bill myself but he has his daughters weddings at the moment.

Regards,

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver.. i'd give you the dimensions.. but i'd have to kill you after....

the cars have such clean lines.. pleeeeeeeease... dont.. on your car harrington went to the trouble of a cantilevered boot so that you remove the afterthought hinges.. and you are going to add upright after thought chintz to a plunging bonnet... :(:(:(

Limey

Donation Time
yes or no

i'm wavering....

Anyone want to speak up for the bonnet flash on a Lake Blue Bonnet?/

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
flash

I agree with scott. plus there were other reasons they weren't installed. I would say set it on the hood and due to the contour of the hood, adjust until it contacts the metal with no gaps. that would probably be the spot to mount it.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
LOL - the last thing we need is a rash of these things appearing on Alpines and the general public starts thinking they were standard equipment. We have enough misperceptions about our cars - let's not add to it! :p

That looks quite neat if you ask me;). Wish someone made them as I would consider it:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
LOL - the last thing we need is a rash of these things appearing on Alpines and the general public starts thinking they were standard equipment. We have enough misperceptions about our cars - let's not add to it! :p

you mean minilite/superlite/panasport wheels weren't optional? Mota Lita wheels were not stock and all the cars had carpet mats? :p

65beam

Donation Time
flash

that was the really neat thing about dealers in the 60's. you could drive a new sunbeam off the lot with just about any option you wanted. that included minilites, hallibrand, amco items, full carpets, etc, etc. byers in columbus would even swap interiors on cars if you wanted. they didn't care whether it was factory correct or not. try to get a dealer to do that today! the only car i have ever seen with the hood ornament was on a Harrington. i stood in his driveway in reno and looked at it from different angles and it does go with that particular car. probably due to the paint color.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Remember that Kenneth Howes, who designed the car, did it with the idea of as little extra bits as possible, so that the shape of the car itself was the beauty of the car. It was the Rootes family that started mucking it up with badges, peaked headlights, more upright windshield, etc....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I agree with Jay. The Alpine body lines are so clean, they don´t need anything added to it. All that gingerbread just detracts from the beauty of the design.

On my first one (Series IV), the previous owner apparently hit something, because the whole front was a different faded red color, and an earlier hood was used, because it had a big ugly wart (badge) on the hood.

I stripped all the script, lettering and badges from the body before I had it painted. When it was done, it was just beautiful. I say NO, to any add ons on the Alpine body. It doesn´t need them.

Jose

Remember that Kenneth Howes, who designed the car, did it with the idea of as little extra bits as possible, so that the shape of the car itself was the beauty of the car. It was the Rootes family that started mucking it up with badges, peaked headlights, more upright windshield, etc....

Limey

Donation Time
OK, OK! I get the message (you bunch of Jonahs):rolleyes:

If Im not fitting it then it needs to go to a better home. So,who wants to buy my restored bonnet flash?

Over 200 corrosion pits where hand drilled and copper filled by Derby Plating Ltd before chroming, they are the 'Rolls Royce' of chromers.(ask any Rolls Royce/Aston Martin/Ferrari restorer in the UK)

It is perfection. The finest bonnet flash in existence and I do not say this in jest.

Serious cash offers welcome (I'll swap for a Hartwell inlet manifold or a New York Virgin):D

OR an extremely good pair of concours restored '60s Webers with short stacks(not modern)

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK, OK! I get the message (you bunch of Jonahs):rolleyes:

If Im not fitting it then it needs to go to a better home. So,who wants to buy my restored bonnet flash?

Over 200 corrosion pits where hand drilled and copper filled by Derby Plating Ltd before chroming, they are the 'Rolls Royce' of chromers.(ask any Rolls Royce/Aston Martin/Ferrari restorer in the UK)

It is perfection. The finest bonnet flash in existence and I do not say this in jest.

Serious cash offers welcome (I'll swap for a Hartwell inlet manifold or a New York Virgin):D

OR an extremely good pair of concours restored '60s Webers with short stacks(not modern)

Oliver

Oliver,

If you want to duplicate a hartwell setup.. hunt down i would guess weber 40DCOE 16's or 18's as used on the lotus cortina/elan twinks, i forget what the if they wer the 18's or 16's.. but they are set for small bore 1600's.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Oliver,

I had no idea it was that nice! Well that's a totally different story. However might advice is NOT to put it on an Alpine, but instead find a Harrington to add to it!

I wrote that in jest - but since since I'm sure you already want a Harrington (wouldn't we all?), it would be a shame to sell that part and then one day come across the opportunity for just the right Harrington that would have benefitted by the flash.

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver,

I had no idea it was that nice! Well that's a totally different story. However might advice is NOT to put it on an Alpine, but instead find a Harrington to add to it!

Hi Jay,

It is to my HA that I am considering fitting it. It is Lake blue and i thinkit would look good.

Oliver