• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bonnet Flash on Ebay

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
:eek:
Yes, I didn't want to do it but going to the Invasion is more important to me.
I need some funds so I have put my Bonnet Flash up on Auction. I have also give an email of two to a few guys in hope to sell the flash.

What do you guys think it is worth? I have no idea what one should pay for such an item.

Oh well, on ebay it is now posted.:(

Thanks guys.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sunbeam-Alpine-Rootes-Rare-Bonnet-Flash-Motiff-Mascot_W0QQitemZ230277151719QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42606QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

atallamcs

Donation Time
bonnet motif

You know, I was thinking about buying this one, but not for my Alpine, maybe my Hummer--depends on how much John really wants it!!!!
Bill

Andrew

Donation Time
Bonnet Flash

You know, I was thinking about buying this one, but not for my Alpine, maybe my Hummer--depends on how much John really wants it!!!!
Bill

Hey Bill:

We should design one up for you, 2x the scale! :D
I think the original may be a little small on the big Hummer bonnet.

Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
bonnet flash

guys, these things are so UGLY!!!!!! why would you spoil the clean lines of an alpine with them????????

alpine_64

Donation Time
guys, these things are so UGLY!!!!!! why would you spoil the clean lines of an alpine with them????????

Rare options are nice to have.. but i have to agree.. i'm not a fan. The alpnie had such clean lines.. a graceful lack of ornamentation compared to many cars of the period. it didnt rely on tinsel, it was a nice clean form.

I think 1 or 2 options on them is nice... but when they have all.. they look well... a little tarted up and tacky.. (i have to say.. i also hate the wing mirrors mounted on the front guards.. i know they give better vision but gosh they look awkward out there)

A set of spots.. maybe some reversing lights.. and some side mirrors.. but once we get to bonet flashes, mud flaps, side trims etc... to much spoils...

napa 1

Donation Time
Jeeze, we've had this debate already several times. For those of us with a more evolved sense of asthetics, ;) the bonnet flash represents a perfectly proportioned and sublime enhancement to the perfect lines of an alpine. Rather than detract from the Alpine's beautiful simplicity, it actually enhances it. Check out the photo of Bill's Harrington, the bonnet flash blends so nicely with the car that you hardly see it, yet it adds a touch of elegance and je ne sais pas.......then again, I have my mirrors mounted on the fenders. :p

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jeeze, we've had this debate already several times. For those of us with a more evolved sense of asthetics, ;) the bonnet flash represents a perfectly proportioned and sublime enhancement to the perfect lines of an alpine. Rather than detract from the Alpine's beautiful simpliciy, it actually enhances it. Check out the photo of Bill's Harrington, the bonnet flash blends so nicely with the car that you hardly see it, yet it adds a touch of elegance and je ne sais pas.......then again, I have my mirrors mounted on the fenders.

Now John.. dont even get me started on whitewalls!! :D:D:p

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
As with all things esthetic, it is a matter of personal taste. I removed all lettering and badges. I only left the grill eyebrow and lower strip. I would have removed the door handles too, but it would have cost a bit, so didn't do it. The Alpine body doesn't need anything that distracts from it. I even like Jim Ellis's series 3, without the bumpers even.

I believe the factory went WAY over board with all the badges and lettering.

Jose :)

65beam

Donation Time
bonnet flash

those of us that were driving these cars in the 60's would understand what i am about to say. items such as this were not found on a sports car .we stripped everything we could off the cars and added items to make them run better. we stripped the grills, bumpers ,hub caps [if you had them]and added items to make driving hard an easier task. i had my 1600 built by paeco in alabama and added so many lights that my generator could not keep up some nights. if you really wanted to get heckled ,put white walls on the car.we called them sports cars, not XXXX cars .maybe that's why items like the bonnet flash are so rare . i even have the chrome off my red harrington.looks more like a race car,not a frog squatting. that's just my two cents ! ???????

napa 1

Donation Time
You're right the spear trim on a Le Mans is really ugly. If you still have it lying around somewhere, I think you should get rid of it...I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you like, you know, just to help you out. :D

Andrew

Donation Time
Life and likes

those of us that were driving these cars in the 60's would understand what i am about to say. items such as this were not found on a sports car .we stripped everything we could off the cars and added items to make them run better. we stripped the grills, bumpers ,hub caps [if you had them]and added items to make driving hard an easier task. i had my 1600 built by paeco in alabama and added so many lights that my generator could not keep up some nights. if you really wanted to get heckled ,put white walls on the car.we called them sports cars, not XXXX cars .maybe that's why items like the bonnet flash are so rare . i even have the chrome off my red harrington.looks more like a race car,not a frog squatting. that's just my two cents ! ???????

I guess life is what you make of it. Some like a good glass of wine with their meal, others a beer. Then there is always great beer but what beer, English Beer vs Canadian Beer vs American Beer. What Beer is better? I guess it is the one that you will drink. I wouldn’t knock a guy with whitewalls on his Sunbeam or another guy that has stripped his car down to a plain canvas. I think it is all good and a great way to share and learn. One will never grow if you keep your mind closed off. Boy, I look forward to the Invasion to see everyone’s idea of what they think a Sunbeam should look like!

65beam

Donation Time
bonnet flash

andrew,
i don't have a closed mind. if you knew anything about our collection of cars you might understand.i guess i lived at the wrong time and in the wrong place.i 've always felt that it's your life ,live it your way.flash is not my way and i don't drink beer either. i decided at a very early age that i could have lot's of toys if i didn't spend my money on things like that.of all the cars i've had ,the alpine has the best lines in my opinion and i don't like to spoil those lines.that's my idea and that's the way i live since i only have my wife to answer to .and she is sunbeam mad also.

Andrew

Donation Time
Flash

andrew,
i don't have a closed mind. if you knew anything about our collection of cars you might understand.i guess i lived at the wrong time and in the wrong place.i 've always felt that it's your life ,live it your way.flash is not my way and i don't drink beer either. i decided at a very early age that i could have lot's of toys if i didn't spend my money on things like that.of all the cars i've had ,the alpine has the best lines in my opinion and i don't like to spoil those lines.that's my idea and that's the way i live since i only have my wife to answer to .and she is sunbeam mad also.

Hi,
I was not saying you had a closed mind. I was just trying to say that I try to keep my open and try not to tread on others likes or dislikes. The last thing I want is to upset anyone or give them a slam as so much can be lost in the written word. It would be nice to think that everyone who joins the club or forum could be free to ask a question, show off their car or express what they like without being judged.

Oh, and I am not saying that you are pushing your views on others. I just what everyone to know they can like it or dislike it, it is all a personal view.
I respect what John is saying and I also respect and like the look of a true sportscar. It will be great to see the new car Scott is working on (a true Sunbeam Racer)!

All the best,:)
Andrew

Andrew

Donation Time
Flash

Doubt I would put it on my car but I still would like to have one.

Yes Jim, it looked great on my parts shelf but it think it was a little much on my Black S3. It would have been great on a red bonnet but I don't have the funds to bring the old girl back to her original colour.

Andrew

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Boy, I look forward to the Invasion to see everyone’s idea of what they think a Sunbeam should look like!

Andrew, you can look at the other cars to get ideas, but if you want to see what an Alpine should look like, just look at mine.

No, I am partial or closed minded. Facts is facts!

Bill

Andrew

Donation Time
Facts is facts!

Andrew, you can look at the other cars to get ideas, but if you want to see what an Alpine should look like, just look at mine.
No, I am partial or closed minded. Facts is facts!
Bill

Ya ya Bill, your car is the best! :D

I must also say that in checking back at the photos from last years Invasion, your car also looks like an Alpine.:)

I hope to see you again this year.

Andrew

lgurley

Donation Time
I have the title

I have the title to my car. That gives me the right to put a continental kit on it if I should so desire. Or I could make it a swamp buggy or a coffee table. The point is "You don't criticize another man's taste in, wives wines or automobiles. I don't want the flash on my Alpine either but it sure looks good on Bills car.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I must also say that in checking back at the photos from last years Invasion, your car also looks like an Alpine.:)

Andrew

Andrew, you have a picture of my car? I didn't know anyone had one. But I'm not denying it looks like an Alpine, just saying it is the best looking Alpine.

Bill