• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Body seams

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just about finished with the bodywork on my series V, but here's the question. The seam between the lower front fender and front valence, just ahead of the wheels dissapears as it reaches the wheel well arch. Is there a specific distance from the wheel well arch to the seam, say 2 or 3 inches ?
I've seen this seam completely filled on some cars, to being visable right up to the wheel well arch flare, but can't seem to find any photos of an original seam treatment.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
My V (Serial #...18007) has the disappearing line at about 1 1/4 inches on both sides. I just measured it. Guess it was welded there. Maybe by hand and each slightly different lengths?

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is a trick question, right? Just to see who'd go measure the small "disappearance area" length. Well, I'm doing some outside construction and the V is directly under a light with a tape measure right beside it, so :D

Sownman

Donation Time
In a somewhat related vein. Did the Alpine ever have seams filled with lead like the early Tigers did. The front fenders to cowl seams the under doors rocker seams and the under tailight seams were all filled with lead in Tigers and as the Mk 1 series ended and transitioned to Mk 1A those seams were left. Did Apines ever have filled seams ? If so did it disappear during S4 or at transition to S5 ?

Steve

ALC 68A

Donation Time
My Series IV had leaded seams when I stripped it for restoration. All panel joints were leaded other than the one between the rear of the front wing (fender?) and the front of the sill (rocker panel?). From casual observation, the panel joints on top of the wings seem to cease being leaded when the panels went from round to square corners, which from memory was after the first few hundred Series Vs had been made. Since Mark 1 and Mark1A/11 Tigers more or less correspond to Series IV and Series V Alpine bodies, then I suppose the leaded seams changed at the same times.

Steve