• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

body panel troubles

Floor guy

Donation Time
I bought several body repair panels from classic sunbeam. I couldnt be more disappointed. Not one of the panels aside from being nominally the right shape was the right size. The rocker panels were closer to a banana than a rocker panel. When held up to the car both ends curved up by at least 1/4 inch while curving down on the bottom by the same amount. I understand needing to fit the part but the parts should be somewhat close to the right shape. The same with the front fender patch panel for the rear of the wheel opening. It was if anything oversized and required a lot of essentially fabricating to make it fit. The front panel for the rear wheel opening was as bad as the rest. When purchasing patch panels they should be close to the original size and shape. Everything else I have purchased from them has been spot on and I will continue to shop for parts from them. I think the quality of the body panels they get from the supplier needs to be addressed. So far the only patch panels that fit as they should were the rear fender panels for the back of the wheel openings. I got those from Jeff Horwath in the UK. I think the problem with the body panels is similar to a game of telephone. Someone took a panel copied it them that panel was copied and so on. I have had the worst time getting body parts. I was quoted a price from Randy Willet for all four floor pans. I was happy with the price even though it was more than I expected. After I sent the deposit he shipped the 2 rear panels fine. Then I got a bill for additional money. He was charging me almost 50 percent more than the total he quoted and I ended with only 1 front panel. I got the other from Jeff Horwath. If you quote someone a price then you should stick to it. Mind you I sent the deposit within a week or 2 from getting the price. I could see a change if it had been months. I am so disappointed with the whole affair.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought several body repair panels from classic sunbeam. I couldnt be more disappointed. Not one of the panels aside from being nominally the right shape was the right size. The rocker panels were closer to a banana than a rocker panel. When held up to the car both ends curved up by at least 1/4 inch while curving down on the bottom by the same amount. I understand needing to fit the part but the parts should be somewhat close to the right shape. The same with the front fender patch panel for the rear of the wheel opening. It was if anything oversized and required a lot of essentially fabricating to make it fit. The front panel for the rear wheel opening was as bad as the rest. When purchasing patch panels they should be close to the original size and shape. Everything else I have purchased from them has been spot on and I will continue to shop for parts from them. I think the quality of the body panels they get from the supplier needs to be addressed. So far the only patch panels that fit as they should were the rear fender panels for the back of the wheel openings. I got those from Jeff Horwath in the UK. I think the problem with the body panels is similar to a game of telephone. Someone took a panel copied it them that panel was copied and so on. I have had the worst time getting body parts. I was quoted a price from Randy Willet for all four floor pans. I was happy with the price even though it was more than I expected. After I sent the deposit he shipped the 2 rear panels fine. Then I got a bill for additional money. He was charging me almost 50 percent more than the total he quoted and I ended with only 1 front panel. I got the other from Jeff Horwath. If you quote someone a price then you should stick to it. Mind you I sent the deposit within a week or 2 from getting the price. I could see a change if it had been months. I am so disappointed with the whole affair.

The factory rocker panels for Series Alpines (and Tigers) were curved by approximately the amount that you complained about.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was at Howarth's shop (Manchester, UK) last Spring. He showed me some of the panels. I didn't have a chance to compare to original, but, they all looked good. I appreciate your comments "floor guy". All panels, even from an original donor, need some fabricating and fitting. Howarth tries to do the best for all of us in the Alpine/Tiger arena. Below, Howarth (on the right) and his friend, had a unique and refined custom Alpine. This is not a Harrington. At the time it was for sale.

upload_2022-11-13_9-10-55.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-13-49.png

Last edited:

Floor guy

Donation Time
His panels fit with very minor fiddling unlike the others that required major time-consuming reworking. I wish I had found him first.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm really surprised that you had problems with panels from either Classic Sunbeam or Jeff Howarth. I have had many panels from both of them over the years and they are usually top quality, requiring minimal fettling before fitment.

Tim R

Floor guy

Donation Time
I had absolutely no problem with the panels I got from Jeff Howarth. I wish I had found him before I had ordered the stuff from Classic Sunbeam and especially randy. Classic sunbeam has been super helpful with everything else I got from them. Very knowledgeable and helpful with information and suggestions.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rocker panels were closer to a banana than a rocker panel. When held up to the car both ends curved up by at least 1/4 inch while curving down on the bottom by the same amount. .

It would be good to see photos of the sill panels.
As mentioned the sills are actually a complex curvature panel... In side elevation they do actually arc from the raear of the front wheel arch down to a low point centre to the door then up again towards the rear arch. They are NOT a straight panel.

It would be good to see what your parts looked like.
index.php