• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Blowing Smoke

sd_pace

Donation Time
Are you making your own exhaust gaskets? If so, what are you using?

kinda took the idea from jim took marry together a piece of metel and some pepboys gasket material... i patterned it from the newer gasket but it doesnt have the perferation to the metel..... it needs a lot of cooper sealant.... the metel i took from an old computer side panel and routed it out

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
kinda took the idea from jim took marry together a piece of metel and some pepboys gasket material... i patterned it from the newer gasket but it doesnt have the perferation to the metel..... it needs a lot of cooper sealant.... the metel i took from an old computer side panel and routed it out

Interesting. I guess there is no reason why it wouldn't work. Replacement gaskets aren't that expensive, but I never seem to have one around when I need it. I managed to reuse and old one last time I disconnected the exhaust by squeezing some exhaust sealant in the voids between the two metal pieces.

That said, I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to carefully cut (grind?) the seal between the two halves of an old gasket and just use that with some sort of new liner?

sd_pace

Donation Time
jim... your right they are cheap... but the newer one is so hard to make work and the good old ones are few and far between... of course any thing can work with enought beer and sealant
steve

sorry i was talking in regards to the intake and exhaust gasket between the head and manifolds

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Steve/Tom,
When I blew the head gasket a few months on my 1725~ my mechanic was able to find one at NAPA in Barnesville. Just don't look for only an Alpine, that engine was used in a lot of Rootes cars. I think I have a spare if you want it.
See you all at Rome Tomorrow.
Bob

sd_pace

Donation Time
Bob
talked to tom this morning and he said we have what we need to get it done tonite.... where do you want to meet sat. morning?
steve

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
We'll be going up US 27 from Newnan, I think it will be out of the way for you all to meet up, unless you meet us at the Breman exit on I 20 about 8:30

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
problem found, many thanks

Thanks to Allan, We've got the head pulled.........sure enough anti-freeze in cylinder #1 .. top of head gasket looks ok, I'm waiting for a more experienced eye before I pull it off the block.
I've come across a head gasket that is silver metal with copper around the water holes "Payen" brand, I've also got the SS head kit with the black and perforated silver WHICH ONE is the one to use ??

Many, many , many thanks to Allan (SeriesIVAllan) , Steve(Sd_Pace), and Jeb Stuart for helping me out with parts and labor, And many thanks to everyone that helped me diagnose the problem.

Tom j
See you guys at Berry tomorrow....

britbeam

Donation Time
Thanks to Allan, We've got the head pulled.........sure enough anti-freeze in cylinder #1 .. top of head gasket looks ok, I'm waiting for a more experienced eye before I pull it off the block.
I've come across a head gasket that is silver metal with copper around the water holes "Payen" brand, I've also got the SS head kit with the black and perforated silver WHICH ONE is the one to use ??

Many, many , many thanks to Allan (SeriesIVAllan) , Steve(Sd_Pace), and Jeb Stuart for helping me out with parts and labor, And many thanks to everyone that helped me diagnose the problem.

Tom j
See you guys at Berry tomorrow....

Tom Ive used the one with the copper around the water holes and didnt have a problem. Now all that being said check the head and engine mating surface for corrosion pitting etc. If is pitted it may leak again. Of course these areas can be resurfaced if neccessary. See you at Berry .
Dwain V6 Krazy

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Yippee !! Got everything back together (except for cold retorque) hope all goes well... See you in Rome, Thanks to Steve, for hanging in and helping out
actually I was helping him.

Tom j